Front bumper/crossmember captive nut

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Ditchyboy, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Ditchyboy Forum Member

When retightening the bolts through the front crossmember into the front bumper captive nuts one didn’t seem to want to get really super tight making me worried the captive bit has come loose inside the chassis leg. Any tips on how to get around this? Do I have to drill a hatch in the top of the chassis leg or could it drill out?

thanks

I think I read the captive nuts are part of the bumper not the part of the chassis leg but might be wrong

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

They are part of the bumper irons, yes. Pull off the bumper and replace the captive nut.

3. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Bought a new bumper for Allie's golf when was putting that back together, think I had problem with one (new) nut cross threaded or weld splatter, put the original brackets on new bumper, so have the set in shed if any use to you, check your bolts too, in case the threads have eroded on them too, m10 thread from memory.

4. Ditchyboy Forum Member

When you say pull the bumper off i guess i have to drill out or cut off the original bolt head to do this?

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

see how you go, try levering the bolt downwards at the same time you undo that may be enough. if the bolt still wont come out remove the grille then you have semi-decent access down the leg to hopefully get something to stop the captive nut spinning