Front wishbone

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by dodgy, Jun 10, 2021.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Am I correct in thinking the mk2 wishbone is the same side to side, anti rollbar mount is just a hole, not like mk3 gti that has a tab so handed?
    Depending upon which way balljoint is bolted in designating side, but theoretically interchangeable?
    Thanks

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I believe so, I just put mine in the hole and it fit! Lol

dodgy likes this.
  3. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

They are a bit different, at least the pattern Lemforder ones are. Like the tube for the big bush is part of the pressing on one side and just floating with a tack weld on the other, not sure if it matter which side they go though. Have you got a picture of yours?

dodgy likes this.
  4. H8V

h8v Forum Member

vwheritage list their front wishbones as "fits left or right hand side"

dodgy likes this.
  5. dodgy

Thanks, that's what made me wonder, some sites say either side, others handed.
    Just remembered I've got a mk3 set non gti somewhere, will have to look tomorrow see if those differ.

6. dodgy

Cue Finbar Saunders!

Savagesam likes this.
  7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

they arent sided, any site that list them as sided will just be because the ball joint is included. but you can convert simply by flipping the joint

dodgy likes this.
  8. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

As RJ says they will fit either side, where the two halves are welded together around the outside of the rear bush you will see that one side is offset as NateS2 had stated from what I've seen all aftermarket ones are like this, original VW ones weren't. I have a pair of late genuine VW replacement ones and they are the same as aftermarket ones as well.

NateS2 and dodgy like this.
  9. dodgy

Does it affect anything being offset?

10. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

I don’t believe so. I think the bush is the same positions is symmetrical too to bottom, I think on mine they’re opposite across the sides because the parts are the same left to right

11. Savagesam

Bush is definitely the same, I measured it all to make sure I wasn’t putting it in wrong.

12. dodgy

Thanks guys, I am thinking of staying 4 stud so want to put G60 set up back on, instead of vr6 and my original mk2 set are kaput, mk3 tdi shafts I bought are wrong, that's why stuck the vr6 ones on, so looks like new wishbone and shafts needed to sort it, plus change arb again.

13. Savagesam

Oh that's a shame! You've got those lovely big brembo's tho? :(

I think I may have some front shafts if you need them, maybe a pair of arms too.

14. dodgy

Thanks Sam
    Saves me spending 300 on tyres too, the brembo calipers will be saved for next project, I've already started collecting bits!
    Fingers crossed I've found another set of mk3 tdi shafts so can keep mk3 rack I've fitted and the wishbone set I've still got.

Savagesam likes this.
  15. Savagesam

Ahh, that's good to hear!

Okay, well let me know. I'll have a dig through the shed

dodgy likes this.
  16. dodgy

Will do, cheers.

17. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

As said the wishbones are universal, the rear bushes are the same but they are pushed in different amounts depending on which side you are fitting them to, certainly on the wishbones I used recently. I used Meyel kits from eBay, B and B components, use them often as they seem to supply decent parts. I got the whole kit, bushes, ARB bracket and rubbers, 19mm ball joint etc for less than 30.00 delivered (ea). To be honest I didn't want the bushes or the ball joints really, but will use the ball joints.....but for the price might as well buy the whole kit!

You need to check if you have 17mm or 19mm ball joints if you are buying ball joints!

dodgy likes this.
  18. dodgy

B and B, tierod69 as seller on Ebay have always proved very good, usually next day delivery too, usually look at them.
    I've dug out the mk3 wishbone set I bought then had driveshaft issues so didnt use, new balljoints complete, also found a brand new TDI shaft in the garage, an hour after ordering a pair from Germany.
    Thanks everyone for the help. D.