Fuel gauge not working mk2 dash vr6 pump & wiring

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by white_gti 8v, Nov 5, 2014.

1. twolitrepinto Forum Member

my bad, you have the mk3 loom that goes with the tank.
    As finite says the pinout at the fusebox is the same.
    didn't mean to confuse things more.

try unplugging plug M from the fusebox, and the fuel pump plug and check for resistance end to end.

2. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

On the contrary, you made things clearer by posting that info :thumbup:

3. white_gti 8v Forum Member

All sorted guys I decided to remove the plug from the back of the fusebox on the mk3 loom and there is 5 wires so I compared
    It to my original plug which only has 3 wires ??

So I thought sod it I cut the plug off the mk3 loom at the tank end and joined the mk3 plug to my original loom colour for colour, plugged my original plug m into the fusebox which only has 3 wires
    Boom it works just fine

Thanks for all your input chaps

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

must have been a problem with the mk3 loom somewhere, I swapped a mk3 pump loom into my mk2 and it worked just fine

5. kampervan New Member

On driver on mk3 loom just split large brown wire and cut small brown and blue wire. Rejoin large brown but include small brown and blue goint to tank.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

to answer an earlier point made by twolitrepinto, depending on what car the mk3 loom is taken from the fuel level sender earth will either be direct to internal ground at the fusebox or via g1/5 to the side of the head. G1/5 is used as an extra earth for GTI MK2 for the MFA clocks but is not there for non-GTI cars and so if you get a mix of both types the gauge will not work unless you either swap a pin at the fusebox for the rear loom or add an earth to G1/5, you should do this either way if you have MFA clocks. It doesnt have to go to the head though you can earth behind the fusebox if you prefer.