Fuel in Vacuum system

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Gen, Mar 11, 2023.

1. GEN

Gen New Member

Hi, new to the forums here, hopefully posting in the right place.
    I'm trying to save a 8vGTi (1990) after replacing both fuel pumps, filters, relays and tanks (was 2/3 filled with water), got it running to find fuel now in the vacuum system, I'm assuming it's the fuel pressure regulator, would any know where I can get one or and alternative? I have a Bosch number but that's not manufactured anymore.

2. watercooled Forum Member

I've not seen them new but that is cause I've never seen one fail ...not to say they don't,I would look for a used one and you should be fine.
    I suspect some water has got this far up the system ,in that case I would suggest that it would be a good idea to get your injectors checked for spray pattern and leak down test,what generally happens is that the HP pump will force some water to the injectors before the filter is completely blocked and the suction is lost @ the lift and main pumps which appears to have happened.
    Water is the main enemy in an FI fuel system regardless of it being mechanical or electric ,cheers and good luck.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

easy way to confirm pull the vac line off the FPR and see if fuel comes out of it. part number is 037133035

KeithMac likes this.
  4. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I've seen this happen a few times on motorcycles, not common but it does happen.

If it's a steel diaphragm (sp?) in the FPR then the water has likely corroded it to point of failure.

5. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Long time ago when I was doing up the 205 I was regularly on one of their forums.

Some of the above posts vaguely rang some bells and have found the thread I was thinking back to. Skip to the end, they guy found his issue and it was a perforated regulator. The 205 and MK2's are both versions of the same Bosch 3 bar item from what I can see.

https://www.205gtidrivers.com/forums/topic/174793-over-fuelling-sensor-connection-check/?page=2

Piccie from a Bosch L-Jet manual...

FPR L Jet.jpg

6. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I proved one was faulty by running a clear vacuum reference line (temporary), as @rubjonny says that line should be bone dry.

7. GEN

Gen New Member

**UPDATE**
    Yeap the diaphragm is non existent... had the injectors check and they are shot as well, water has got all the way in ( no thanks to the previous owners storage of the car ), but got to the bottom of it now, so injectors, fuel rail and and regulator all on order and a complete line replacement as well.
    might as well do it right now then it should see it through another 33years...
    thanks for all you replys.

KeithMac likes this.
  8. watercooled Forum Member

Pretty much thought that would be the case ,for that reason you need to clean/flush the system as its often that there will still be water in there and no point in damaging new parts,has the tank been removed and cleaned for starters ? .
    This is a huge hassle but will pay off later ,cheers.