Fuel pump housing/lines

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by jmsheahan, Jul 15, 2022.

1. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on fuel lines. :thumbup:

Mk2 Golf ABF using 8v digi fuel pump setup.

The circled hard line into the pump is starting to rot quite badly around the ferrule so is in need of changing. Can't seem to find what I want in ETKA so wondering if these are still available from VW or if it's possible to cut the line and remake using fuel hose? Guessing it's ferruled as a high-pressure line?

Possibly 191 201 374 A?

Screenshot 2022-07-15 at 09.55.14.png

Secondly, the housing is starting to look a bit worse for wear. I'm on my second housing, and although I know a Mk3 tank and pump is probably the most cost-effective route, I'm considering one the Alloy Pro items as a fit and forget route.

However, the housing uses a 60mm pump for 16v so my 8v digi one won't fit. Is there anything to stop me from using a 60mm 16v KR fuel pump and using a threaded barbed adapter on it instead of the banjo fitting? That way I can hook up the digifant fuel filter and hoses like it currently is?

Many thanks! :thumbup:

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I know it's not the question you asked... But a proper Jubilee brand clip of that size, is rated to 200 psi... Ahem.

jmsheahan likes this.
  3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

cut the ferrule, remove and replace the rubber section keeping the plastic bit. its a special reducer hose VW part number is 171201543B. rest of the rubber lines as above, but use standard 7-8mm I/D fuel line rated for ethanol fuel. replace all clips with new proper fuel line ones (no crappy jubilees)

the better option though, replace the whole tank setup for mk3 golf then never have to worry about split mk2 fuel pump casings again. all rubber line is normal 7-8mm stuff, the above special pipe isnt required

you can keep all your plastic lines, just join the 2 blue lines together with a length of hose and replace the reducer hose above with normal line. just need the tank and fuel filter carrier from any mk3 with petrol engines (inlcuding 1.4) and pump from gti, 16v or vr6. the MPI non-gti cars have the same pump as well, its only the SPI pumps which are lame

jmsheahan likes this.
  4. rubjonny

missed the last bit, yes you can use the pro alloy tank and kjet pump, just fit a barbed bando adaptor M12x1.5 -> 7/8mm and from there plumb it up same as a digifant external unit

jmsheahan likes this.
  5. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Ah the oracle has spoken! Thanks RJ, much appreciated :)

Reducer hose on order! Mk3 tank would be the way to go but I don't really fancy trying to source all of the parts at the mo. I think an alloy housing, valver pump with the banjo adapter is going to be the easiest (but not cheapest admittedly) route.

Now to try and find a Bosch KR fuel pump for sensible money... (191 906 091 H ?)

not-worthy-waynes-world.gif

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
  6. rubjonny

7. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Slowly piecing together all the bits [:D]

Quick (probably stupid) question but for my own sanity - the green 'o'ring goes under the ridge on the pump right?

The plastic clamping ring for the pump doesn't seem to want to sit down flush against the housing body as the seal won't compress enough.

The fixing bolts are tiny and I'm concerned I'm going to strip the threads.

IMG_8167.JPG IMG_8168.JPG

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
    Richard Mk2 likes this.
  8. rubjonny

yes thats right

9. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Hey buddy. Rather then starting a new thread, I thought I'd add my questions here, seen as I'm going down the same route.

Just out of curiosity, what fuel pump are you using there ? I can see you are using the Pro Alloy setup, which is the way I'm thinking of going, but wondering if their are any other options of a higher output pump being fitted to these housings ?

Also, did you go for the 8v or 16v option from Pro Alloy ?

10. rubjonny

it was the kjet pump, which is way over spec for most EFI applications as it puts out 128 l/hr @5 bar

I assume by '8v' they actually mean 'digifant' as the 8v kjet housing is the same as the 16v one. tbh the normal digi pump is still good enough for most things but it depends on your spec.

personally I would just fit the MK3 tank, saves a lot of hassle and you can mod a better pump in the mk3 casaing if you really need to

Richard Mk2 likes this.
  11. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Exactly as RJ said, I would go the Mk3 tank route if I were to do it again. I needed a housing quickly and this was the fastest, but least cost-effective solution.

From memory you need a 60mm diameter pump to fit the outlet so the Kjet pump was used - the digi one is too small a diameter. Pretty sure you found me one RJ :lol:

12. rubjonny

probably, I am the genuine parts bloodhound :lol:

jmsheahan likes this.
  13. J Reynolds

J Reynolds Paid Member Paid Member

Sorry to be a pain, but what mk3 golf tank are you using please? Is it the GTI tank ?

14. rubjonny

all petrol engine mk3 use the same tank, its only the pump inside which differs depending on engine. the SPI one is lame `1.2bar, the MPI ones are 3 bar and pre-96 vr6 are 4 bar :)

J Reynolds likes this.
  15. J Reynolds

J Reynolds Paid Member Paid Member

Thankyou for that, you are a star !

16. daNpy Forum Member

What kind of metal reservoir is holding the pump there?
    Looks like it fits directly as MK2 replacement under the rear bench?