Fuel pump housing

Discussion in 'Engines' started by joe98, Sep 5, 2019.

1. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

The fuel pump housing on my GTI needs replacing and I can’t find the part number for a replacement. It’s an early mk2 running CE1 and KJet injection. Can anyone help me with a part number? Working to a short deadline

Thanks

2. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

thats the one, but these are getting hard to find these days. a MK2 16v pump will work, plus corrado 16v too though some need slight tweaks as they are a bit different in shape

4. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks guys, is it possible to retrofit an aftermarket housing? I want something that I won’t have to replace again a year later. They’re all a bit rusted

5. rubjonny

If you fit an aftermarket swirl pot you can replace the main pump with an inline unit, i.e. MK1 golf GTI or good old bosch 44 etc. OEM spec is 128l/hr @5 bar. you need to keep the fuel accumulator, remake the lines with new where required.

a friend of mine used a mk1 cabrio/scirocco/g40 shape polo swirl pot, fitted a mk3 golf filter carrier and clamped the swirl pot and pump either side. though I dont think the kjet filter will fit inside the mk3 carrier plus you also have to get the accumulator fitted as well. So in your case make something up adapted off the mk2 pump metal bracket, shouldnt be hard.

can still get the reservoir though not cheap, something similar aftermarket will also do you fine:
    https://www.vwheritage.com/533201511a-digifant-fuel-filter-vw-spare

heres an unfinished picture but you get the idea:
    g1latereservoir.jpg

6. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks John.

Best thing at the moment for me is a replacement part. I’ve seen this on eBay and I showed it to the garage but they’re worried it could be the wrong part. As I’ve said before my car is an 8v shell with a 16v engine, I’m assuming the fuel system wasn’t changed as it’s still using KJET. would this be the right part for me?

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-JE...8-c825-4c78-a5c1-81101815b42a&epid=1616972847

7. rubjonny

yep that will do you fine :)

8. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Holy cripes, 149 quid that's not exactly cheap but I guess that's what happens as time goes on

9. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

As RJ says that's the one just make sure you don't get a 8v PB one it only has the filter mount on it, also the housing mounts break off as well as the pipe fittings, filter and accumulater mounts also fuel pump mounting screws rust badly and can expand and split the plastic housing and the seam around the plastic housing can leak if you see any dirt on it that's stained darker than the rest of the dirt it has a leak. Don't wish to put you off but look carefully at it.