Fuel tanks Scirocco Mk2 92'

Discussion in 'Scirocco' started by lion_rapid, Dec 23, 2015.

1. lion_rapid New Member

Hello to all
    Original fuel tank (55L capacity) of my Rocco is leaking so it needs to be replaced.
    There were 4 different fuel tanks used in Rocco:
    40L - 171201075P
    40L - 171201075Q
    55L - 155201075B
    55L - 155201075C
    The 55L versions are bolted-on directly, the 40L versions are hold in place by metal straps.
    As this is my fun car, I'd like to fit the smaller tank (lower weight and some more space under car), also I have spare 40L tank.
    Question 1: does 40L tank fit Rocco? (I don't bother about fuel pump and stuff, only fitting the tank).
    Question 2: can anyone make custom fuel tank (smaller capacity than 40L) by either modifying OEM tank or making new one from scratch?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1. I'm 99% sure the smaller tanks will go as long as you also fit the straps.

you'll need to get a tintop carb fuel tank if you plan to use the scirocco injection lifter pump and external swirl pot. if you get a tintop gti tank these have an internal swirl pot and the later liftyer pumps wont fit in. so you'll need to use the bottom outlet to feed the main pump direct, and you'll need to make sure this is good otherwise you may suffer from fuel starvation when cornering

2. you see a fair few people using a custom tank sat in the spare wheel well, shouldnt be too hard to find one aftermarket I'd have thought? would need some re-jigging for the fuel system tho obv.

3. lion_rapid New Member

Thank you rubjonny for the info.
    I've checked old tanks and indeed it is possible to fit them.
    I'd like to keep the fuel tank in the original safety zone.