Fusebox FAQ

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by rubjonny, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Romka Forum Member

Thanks for the info mate! its looks brighter now [:D]

2. twisted_pr New Member

Just had to say thanks very much for posting this up. Have a CE2 fusebox in my 16v and had self inflicted wiring issues [:$] which I've now been able to resolve. Had started doing my own spreadsheet of colours/pins/functions when I came across this - life and time saver. Cheers. :thumbup: :clap:

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

no worries, enjoy :thumbup:

4. Mick34123 Forum Member

Connected coil to

6 - wht - Dash plug pin 10 (rev counter)

Gave around double the revs than it should ?

Its a mk3 gti with bike carbed engine:thumbup:

5. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

A little bit off info to add that may be of use to some;

Recently did a VR-swap into a 1.4 Mk3 (but this will equally apply to Mk2s), and came across a small wiring anomaly.

The engine would crank, but wouldn`t fire. No power to the coil-pack...

Consulted here, the Bentley manual, and a few other sources, and they all say that the 12v feed comes from G1 pin 4 (black wire)

On the loom we had pin 4 was empty...but the black wire was there with it`s own single pin connector, but nowhere for it to plug in.

Spliced across from H1 pin 4 (ignition switch), and it fires and runs properly.

Was properly confused as to why this wiring was different to what every source said it should be, but it turns out (for some odd reason) that if the donor car/loom has Climatronic A/C the ignition coil feed comes from the A/C loom rather than direct from fusebox.

It`s simply linked through from either Q or N, but why it would be this way, and not just go into G1 (and the wire runs down the G1 loom right to the plug, but veers off...) I have no idea! [:|]

When another friend of mine was looking to convert his Highline to Climatronic A/C he sourced everything, bar one apparently important piece of loom. We could never work out why it was so important, because as far as we could find out there was only one wire on a single connector that was different...this was obviously it! :lol:

6. rubjonny

what ignition setup is it?

stu thats great info, i'll bear that one in mind :thumbup:
    I recon your wire should have plugged into the black junction connector, TV4 or 5 which is a coil live feed.

7. Mick34123 Forum Member

Its from the pb engined mk2 golf

8. rubjonny

thats why then, rev counter feed from mk2 coil isnt compatible with mk3 clocks. instead get tyhe rev counter feed from pin 7 of the TCI-H unit

9. Mick34123 Forum Member

Ok thanks very much, will try that out:thumbup:

10. StuMc

Would TV4 (or 5) be part of the AC loom? There was literally nothing for this plug to connect to, but since the receiving car didn`t have AC to begin with, none of that loom came across from the donor (and has since gone to another car that`s having the Climatronic fitted. A Corrado incidently). :thumbup:

11. rubjonny

The jumper blocks are fitted to all mk3s as standard, sometimes they're just above the fusebox, sometimes they're tucked up near the column which is really helpfull. they're just plastic 4 way junction blocks with wires to make them 'live' with whatever the signal is. blue one is speed signal, black and green are coil live, grey is dash lights, white is door pin earth, yellow is erm i forget but you get the idea :lol:

later corrados have them but the early ones do not, either way heres a nice piccy of them and the shape of the plugs which go into em, did it look like this?
    http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=214143

12. StuMc

My TDI has a couple of those I`m sure, but this 1.4 Match didn`t seem too (but if there stuffed up near the column, I probably wouldn`t have seen them, TBF...)

This spurious connector was factory-taped right next to G1, so wouldn`t have reached in any case, also it was the `flat` single pin type (if that makes sense) rather than the square(er) type in the TV jumper blocks. :thumbup:

EDIT;

It looks like the white/blue/yellow/brown single pin plugs seen on the left here;

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  13. rubjonny

aha, just one of those oddities then. maybe if it was an early loom it could have been before the junction blocks came in, and so vw did it this odd way instead? who knows! will keep it in mind though :thumbup:

14. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Mine has a brown/blue wire in pin 11. Any ideas what this is?

Edit - It's the fuel tank level sender pin 2 that should be pin 6 on block M, but for some reason is on block K in mine.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  15. rubjonny

yes i have seen this on some mitchel diagrams but im not exactly sure why the wire is on k/11 on some and m/6 on others. I thought it was just an odd US thing!

Will add to the faq. its only an earth so it makes no odds which pin its put on :)

16. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

That's good to know. Can I just earth it anywhere on the shell, or does it need to run to the fuse box?
    I might change where it goes as I've got an intermittent feed to the VDO fuel guage.

17. rubjonny

you can earth it wherever you like :thumbup:

18. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Ta very muchly, o fount of all knowledge vw related. :thumbup:

19. Bups01 Forum Member

RJ quick question, is there an illustration to show which number relay slots into say for eg. Slot 2 for rear wiper?

20. rubjonny

look below the picture, it lists what each slot is, then scroll down a bit there is a big list of relay numbers and what they do :thumbup: