G60 bottom end rattle/knocking

Discussion in '8-valve' started by J-dog G60, Nov 19, 2022.

1. J-dog G60 New Member

Hi I’ve recently had my timing belt changed, and water pump, started it up after and there is a weird rattle/knocking coming from the bottom end or flywheel area ,could it be caused by timing not being done correctly or oil pump ? Any ideas would be really helpful or someone that knows what they are doing to come help me please ???

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Unlikely that the oil pump would suddenly fail.

I'd be rechecking everything is correctly timed up!

3. J-dog G60 New Member

It has been sat for a long time

4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Had it ran before the belt change?

5. J-dog G60 New Member

Yes it ran before but it some sort rattle /knock which I thought was coming from the alternator, think this noise is different

6. J-dog G60 New Member

Hi what are the correct timing marks ??

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

8. J-dog G60 New Member

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

dont really have the free time these days unfortunate :( if you're near west London I recommend Darren Francis of vw enterprises :)

or if you wanted to have a fiddle check my signature link for the 2 g60 setup documents pgidleco.pdf and pgigntiming.pdf once you're happy with all the basic stuff :thumbup:

10. watercooled Forum Member

What are the noises ? lifters and worn small end bushes will rattle as will worn pistons/bores,big end bearing will knock for example,main bearing are less audible and that will most likely show as poor oil pressure due to excessive clearance as will a bad oil pump.
    Could also be a loose flywheel or broken clutch but not seen that before with these...but you never know ?.
    When the engine is started cold the oil pressure light should switch off in a few seconds and it can do this just with the starter cranking if all is healthy...what is your oil light doing ??.
    IMO running this motor any more with strange noises isn't a great idea,so be careful,best to trailer this to a good mechanic as mentioned,good luck.