Gearbox leak !?!?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by jprocter, Nov 9, 2003.

1. jprocter Forum Member

While changing the engine oil on the car (1.6 mk2 driver) i noticed that there was a oily patch on the end of the gearbox near passenger side driveshaft, its isnt dripping but just damp. What is this likely to be (its done 106k)? and can i fix it (myself)?

Cheers

2. daveybwoy Forum Member

sounds like the diff seal...........mine does it slighty.

looks like a mission to change just keep an eye on the gear box oil and if it starts pi55ing out then do something about it.

3. jprocter Forum Member

Right so just dampness is ok then? How much of a hassle is it to do? and why does it do it summit broke of just a worn (or old) seal?

THanx 4 the help

4. jprocter Forum Member

Anybody else have/had this leak?

5. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

I've done a fair few of these. They aren't that bad to do, but you deffo need the proper tools.

You need to remove the driveshaft(s), so thats the 6 bolts on the inner CV, the outer CV 30mm nut and the ball joint.

You then remove the rubber cap in the middle of the drive flange. Just peirce the middle with a screwdriver and lever it out.

You need to fabricate or buy a "U" shaped peice of metal that sits on the edge of the drive flange and use a bolt that fits the centre thread under the rubber cap.
    There is a VW special tool for this, but you don't have to get one.

The idea is that you compress the flange enough to be able to remove a circlip that hold the flange on.

Sometimes you can just remove the circlip and the flange pops off, other times you need to use a two jaw puller.
    A tip, you can pull apart the puller and use this instead of the "U" shaped peice of metal. I recommend a Sykes and pikervant one fom Halfords.
    Also a gearbox mount bolt (the ones that attach to the fifth gear housing) are a perfect fit in the flange centre thread.

Under the flange is a spring and plate, don't lose these.

Then lever out the old seal and press in a new one. Also check the brass ring in the center as these often break and you have to replace them if they are busted, otherwise the flange wobbles about all over the place (this is often why they start to leak in the first place).

Refit the flange and press it in again with the metal piece or puller and fit a new circlip and rubber cap. The flange seal kits from GSF etc, come with a new circlip and cap and cost about 9.

Now fit ya driveshafts back on and your done :thumbup:

Hope that helps.

6. jprocter Forum Member

thanx alot mate. dont think i will do it at the mo as its not leaking much,will just make sure its topped up.

cheers

7. jprocter Forum Member

Anybody else have this problem?

8. smithy Forum Member

Yeah, I had to do them when I fitted my GTi gearbox. Easy job, though it might be harder with the box in the car. Havent leaked at all since.

9. jprocter Forum Member

Right, will all the oil drain out of the box when i do it?

Cheers

10. md8v Forum Member

yes, easier to drain the box first, but some will still come out when you remove the centre cap in the drive flange

11. jprocter Forum Member

Have you done this? did you find it doable for a fairly compitant diy style mechanic?

Cheers

12. mbradbrook Forum Member

Thats a really good guide to replacing the seals Harry.

I replaced the left hand oil seal a few months back. The right hand one is now leaking so i'm planning on replacing it this weekend. I replaced the left hand one just as Harry said with the car on axle stands and working from the lefthand wheel arch. The problem i see with the righthand one is that this side has a much longer driveshaft and so its a long way to reach the flange from the wheel arch. Did you do this with the car on axle stands from underneath? The difficult bit i seem to remember was fitting the new circlip.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Matt
    1990 Golf GTI 8v

13. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Yes I do work from underneath. I get the car as high in the air as I can (i've got some rather large axle stands!)
    I find it quite comfortable under there really!! [:-B]

Yup, the circlips can be a fiddle.

14. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I want a four-post lift, and a 3-car garage. Note to self - demolish large part of house.