gearbox questions....

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Fast Eddie, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Fast Eddie New Member

does a diesel mk1 gearbox have a different ratio to a scirroco gtx gearbox??
    if so, is it a better ratio for lowering the revs when cruising?? and is it possible to swap the diff from the diesel box into the gtx box?????? [:s]

any ideas??????????????

2. tylerrules84 Forum Member

yes they are different ratios, and they are higher. I'm not sure about the problems that might crop up with it though. Anyone else have any ideas?

3. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

Taller gearing will make cruising at speed easier on the engine as it's turning slower. It will however hurt your 0-60 times and general acceleration. You'll have to hold each gear longer before changing up to keep it on cam.

4. Fast Eddie New Member

well, the engine is a modded 2litre with big valves and cam etc.....so am changin gear very quickly as it is...so much so ive f**ked the box up!!!

5. IanCarvell Forum Member

3.6 is the lowest final drive with the exception on a non standard VW Motorsport 3.32 which was developed for the Close ratio boxes due to thier short gear ratios.

Problem is the diesels also had longer 5th gears....you would be better off getting a diesel box complete.

I think I have a 3.6FD if you need one...PM me.

6. Fast Eddie New Member

Ian, do you think the diesel box would be anygood with a modded 2litre lump??
    the reason i was thinkin of just the final drive was so the gears were still pretty close...i didnt necesarily want a higher top speed, just to keep it in a lower gear a bit longer if you know what i mean?!
    cheers for the replies!!

7. Fast Eddie New Member

anyone else???????????? ;)