Going to get a garage built.

Discussion in 'Garages, workshops & DIY' started by Trev16v, Sep 16, 2009.

1. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

It looks amazing, job well done!!:thumbup: It just needs a TV and a bed to finish it:lol:

You might want to fit a gully at the base of the rain water pipe before finish the drive, it would catch anything that lands on the roof from washing into the soakaway and make the soakaway last longer.

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for the tip Ian! May well do that. Another issue I noticed is water creeping in under the door during heavy rain. I suppose ideally the concrete slab would have been sloped somehow at the front to avoid this. Not sure how to tackle that.

3. fthaimike Forum Addict

Cant you just use a disc cutter & put a few slits in the step you have there to assist it run away a bit & put the drive an inch lower than the step outside the garage (i left a step there).

You could also just knock up a slight overhang & put this above the door entrance.

EDIT: my roller doors were set in a little so i get an over hang & a slight step outside the door (end of the grey bit):

[​IMG]

Though even then if i get really bad weather with high side winds i will get a slight damp area around the bottom of the door but nothing to worry about.

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  4. 1990

Cool, I dig onto knackered soakaways all the time but usually ones after septic tanks where the water isnt as clean. I think it would benfit you as well, I polished my car yesterday and today it was covered in dust from a bit of rain over night, I imagine you will get loads of dust landing on the roof.

For the water running in you could fit a channel drain or aco drain but I think i've seen some tiny rubber strips (like a mini speed bump) that you could fix to the floor to save any more digging.

5. WillG

WillG Forum Member

6. fthaimike Forum Addict

good idea that

7. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Any updates Trev?

8. Trev16v

Just a couple of crap images. I'll post a bit more next weekend.

Built a steel workbench:

[​IMG]

And this weekend, brought the racking back from the 'rents in Wales:

[​IMG]

9. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Making full use of the T4 already:clap:

10. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

Hello Trev, just had a little re-read of the thread, glad to see the man-caves almost there!

just wanted to throw my 2p's worth in regarding the decor... assuming your going to paint it, make sure you think about how much welding you'll be doing in there. white reflects light well which is good for most stuff but if you plan to do much with the mig then you might want to consider a colour that absorbs instead. we have light green for all the college welding bays.

11. Trev16v

A small update at last. I've got some odds and ends finished, such as finishing off installing the sockets, assembling the racking, etc. I had a massive tidy in there this weekend, so took some random pictures.

The workbench I built. I'm going to build a second one of these I think, and locate it at the opposite end near the door main door.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Linux machine sits there doing useful server type stuff and doubles as workshop media player...

[​IMG]

The racks are quite disorganised at the moment but at least it gets all the crap off the floor. Most of this is MK2 stuff and surely half of it I don't need.

[​IMG]

I'm not going to fill those bare wall areas with more racking or anything. I want it to be as spacious as possible so that cars can be worked on properly with doors fully opened.

[​IMG]

12. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Fantastic Trev! That workbench is a work of art. Doesn`t look at all `homemade`. :clap: :thumbup:

13. 1990

Excellent!! If you ever need a lodger give me a buzz.

14. IanH Forum Member

Looking good, and I am glad I am not the only one that requires a PC in the garage. :lol:

Ian...

15. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

Looks great.
    I don't think I would ever need to leave a garage like that.

16. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Except to use the toilet of course!

Which is way my mate is installing one in his current garage build... ;) :lol:

17. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

:thumbup:

Looking great Trev. :)

18. Trev16v

:lol:

I now finally have a surface to mount that bench drill you very kindly gave me, Pete. Actually that came in mega useful a few weeks ago over at Scruffydubber's. We'd have spent a week trying to hand drill what we did in minutes with that!

It does have a male toilet as well. Just go around the back...

19. Trev16v

Why thank you! The long horizontal cross-sections were bits I already had knocking about, but I bought the rest of the box from a metal supplier on eBay for about 60. I could have used any old scrap steel but the results wouldn't have been as nice. Those eBay metal suppliers are so useful. I already have a nice bit of kitchen worktop to build the second one.

Did you notice the 'jigging' I had to do when welding the final bits together using the jack and long length of wood above? :lol:

20. Trev16v

Are you 18, female and Russian?