Going to get a garage built.

Discussion in 'Garages, workshops & DIY' started by Trev16v, Sep 16, 2009.

1. mexicorich Forum Member

Never learnt how to host photos to show them on here but eventually got my new garage finished sunk into the ground in a garden that goes uphill.

I was originally attracted to the crisp uniformity of fresh brickwork (obsessive compulsive disorder lol) and was initially reluctant to paint the walls but what a difference! So light and no dust from the walls.

Floor was jet washed and swept a couple of times to remove surface dust then sealed with Ronseal concrete sealer before being painted with two coats of twopack epoxy from e-bay. Can't remember the supplier but will look it up for you if you want to know. Was initially disappointed as it seemed to take about two weeks for the floor to really set but now its fantastic! Like a laboratory or a kitchen :-)

I have carpet down each side and keep a hoover in there as driving the Kjets in and out takes dirt in! lol

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I hadn`t! Top marks! :clap: :clap: :lol:

3. Andy947 Forum Addict

Looks sh*t :thumbup:

Also, fit some cupboards you utter pikey, all that stuff on shelves will just get covered in dust, cupboards keep stuff clean [:[]

4. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Small update for the hell of it.

I picked up an R-tech AC/DC 200A TIG welder last week and cleared all the crap that had already accumulated on the workbench so I could use it. Haven't had a go with it yet as I'm waiting for a doodah I need for it to arrive in the post. However otherwise it's all ready to go. I fitted a separate supply from the CU to a 16A socket for it, which is fed from a Type C 16A MCB (so hopefully won't nuisance trip). Got a bottle of argon, and mild steel, stainless steel and aluminium filler rods. I've never TIG welded before, so wish me luck as I know it's a steep and painful learning process.

[​IMG]

I don't have a metal worktop so I had a good idea (well, I thought it was) and on eBay bought a 1 metre wide stainless kitchen worktop protector. They aren't particularly cheap at about 50ish for this particular size I asked for; you could probably get it cheaper if you talk to a metal fabricator or something. But anyway, I'm well happy with it.

[​IMG]

I should give public thanks to EZ-Pete who gave me the bench drill which was really kind.

I've got a 2m by 3m grinding / splatter-proof fire blanket on order which I'm going to suspend into a curtain around the bench area, as the bench is right next to the MK2 is stood on stands.

Finally, a helicopter view...

[​IMG]

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

Ooh look... there's a nice garage with a cute little house nearby :lol:

I'm told that TIG welding is a lot trickier than MIG, so you might want to ask for some lessons from someone who can. I expect there's a forum member somewhere near you who knows how. I was going to do a course at the local college, but haven't got round to it yet.

If EZ Pete's workplace is throwing out any more machine tools, he should let us know!

6. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Ive decided theres no point building a garage now. After Phils thread, i think im going to just rent a fecking heoooouuuuugee unit.

7. Admin Guest

Trev i'm still very jealous!

Deako, units can be had for ok money, maybe going in with some friends and one that stores upto 9 cars can be had for 150 a month, split between us.

8. fthaimike Forum Addict

Did you have to pay for the photo what with it being up to date?

9. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

just thinking that:lol:

I have a feeling Trev will be better than he thinks, anyone that can solder well should be able to do it within a couple goes
    and then get better!

10. m1keh Forum Member

Soldering and Tig welding similar interesting....

Must get myself some tig practice.

11. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

You got the TIG then, brilliant! Had a play yet?

A few tips if I may (that you may already know)

Don't place your work directly on top the stainless piece you have, you'll find that your puddle will take longer to form and will pull the heat out very quickly.

Get a flow meter for your argon in addition to the regulator.

Beware if welding close to the machine you get a hell of a draft from that fan.

Don't try and carry on welding if you contaminate the tungsten.

Use a separate wire brush for just aluminium.

Don't try to hard!

I've done a few bits I've been really happy with, just when I think I've got the knack it normally goes to pot especially if I really try[:$][:s]

Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs it's just there are so many little bits that seem to have an effect it's hard to remember it all.

Oh and the gold tungstens that Jools on here recommended are very good, seem to be able to weld ferrous and non ferrous perfectly. :thumbup:

12. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Just had a read through the whole thread over a beer. Speechless, what an epic workspace!

One day.... :lol:

13. 692DPG New Member

Another epic garage build thread - comment about great garage with a cute little house in the garden made me laugh! lol Keep up the great work Trev. :thumbup: