Golf 2.0 to V5 swap electrics

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Sean Elwes, May 4, 2020.

1. Sean Elwes New Member

Im looking to remove the 2.0 AZJ engine from my 2003 golf and replace it with a V5 AQN. I know i could just buy one, but i want to replace the engine for something a little different, as i cant stretch to replacing the car.
    What i would like to know is, do the AZJ and AQN have the same ecu pinouts as each other, on the car side of the ecu loom, to allow it to be plug and play? Or would the car side loom be required also?
    With regards to the immobiliser, are all mk4s generation 2 allowing my existing to be coded to the new v5 ecu? Or if there is a difference in generations between my car and the ecu, can i fit the dash insert from an earlier car and code my key to that dash panel? Or would it just be easier to get the immobiliser removed from the ecu?
    I have looked and searched but cant seem to find the answers im looking for. Not being at work at the moment, means i have no access to ELSA.
    Many thanks in advance, any help is appreciated.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you'll need both halves of the ecu loom, its mostly similar but the AQN has 2 pre-cat lambda probes. car is already DBW so its dead easy, wont have to go inside the car just unplug it all in the scuttle and swap.

if you can get a matched cluster, key set and ecu from same car that would be easiest but with the right cables & software you can pair the new ecu to your existing clock set:
    https://www.clubgti.com/forums/inde...5-5-cluster-mods-skc-retrieval-how-to.289037/
    https://www.clubgti.com/forums/inde...cu-for-another-issue-with-pin-numbers.267400/
    https://www.clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/coding-clocks.256435/

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

2003 VW Golf 1J electrical architecture will be compatible with the AQN engine and controls.

You need all both the ECU control loom that plugs into the car and the engine control loom for the AQN or any other ME7 controller.

ECU needs to be de immo to ignore the cluster in the car.

I cannot say what exactly is coded to the cluster for your spec of vehicle, but yes that will be a newer CAN type.

4. Sean Elwes New Member

Thanks for the replies, been a great help and cleared up a few questions i had. So i should be able to code the AQN ecu to my instrument cluster and keep the immobiliser. Picked up a 20v V5 today too!

Last edited: May 8, 2020