Golf 2 GTI - fuel enters the oil - help!

Discussion in 'Engines' started by hehehh, Jan 3, 2004.

1. hehehh New Member

Hi,
    I have a 91 golf mk2 gti and I recently noticed that the oil level is rising. I checked and it turns out that gasoline is leaking in the oil. I checked the compression and it is normal on all cylinder, so the valves and the pistons should be ok.
    Does anyone have an idea how the fuel goes in the oil?
    Thank you.

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

If it's grossly overfuelling, or you've blown the ECU leaving the injectors open full-time......

3. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Or a leaky injector, I suppose......

4. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

5. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Does the car still drive? If so it's probably an injector leaking. If not it's probably the ECU......

6. hehehh New Member

The car starts when cold and it runs. But if I try to start it when it is hot - no chance. I guess that the spark plugs are wet and would not start.
    I do not think it is the ecu, as the fuel pump only turns on for about 1 sec when i turn the ignition.
    So, I guess it is the injectors?

Thanks

7. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Sounds like one or more leaky injectors. Take out the injectors with the fuel rail still attached, and run the fuel pump to pressurise the system by turning on the ignition. You should be able to see which is dripping.

8. hehehh New Member

Thanks, I will try to do that now.

9. hehehh New Member

I could not see in my manual how to take off the injectors - should I detach the intake manifold first, or I can do it with the manifold on?
    And how do I take the injectors out, just pull them out or unscrew them?
    Thanks

10. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

You can do it with the manifold on - they just prise out. Try and prise them out one by one, bit by bit so you can keep injectors and fuel rail as one assembly.

11. hehehh New Member

Hi again,
    I finally managed to pull the injectors out, but they are all fine. They seem to spray and haold the fuel just fine. None is leaking.
    Do you have any other ideas how the fuel mixes with the oil?

12. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Are there any drips coming from them at all? It doesn't have to be leaking a lot, when the system is pressurised try watching them for a minute to see if there are any drips. The injectors are the only way for fuel to get into the oil, whether by leaking or by overfuelling. Have you checked the coolant temperature sensor to make sure it isn't overfuelling from a hot start, i.e. the ECU always thinks the engine is cold? How is the fuel consumption?

13. Golfvr6 Forum Member

This don't sound right to me, if fuel was getting in the oil via the injectors then theres no way the car would start.
    Just as a guess , is there any oil ways near the inlet ports.

14. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

He said it won't start when it's hot, which is making me think the car is pissing in petrol on an attempted hot start, which then leaks past the piston rings. What are you thinking about oilways?

15. Golfvr6 Forum Member

I think if the injectors were p****** in that much fuel when hot for it to leak past the piston rings then i doubt the car would even turn over let alone start.
    The suggestion about the oilway sounds bizarre, but i can't think of any other expanation but a crack in the head.

16. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

If there was a crack in the head it would be bucketing oil into the inlet though. If it's been trying to "cold start" when hot, it'll be hosing the bores with petrol and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot was making it past the rings - depends how many times he's tried to start it when hot and failed.

17. Golfvr6 Forum Member

Maybe. But have you ever tried putting redex straight in the pots via the spark plugs? it don't take a lot before the car won't even turn over.

18. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

yup, but redex is a lot thicker than petrol, it doesn't go past the rings the same way - hence people using it to free stuck rings. I think that once the bores had been washed of oil a fair old bit of petrol would get down there at a fair old rate!

19. Golfvr6 Forum Member

What you said could be right, however the geezer says the injectors aren't leaking, and they would have to be leaking significantly.
    This is a strange one.

20. hehehh New Member

Hi guys,
    I checked the injectors for much more than a minute and there is not a single drop.
    Where is the coolant temperature sensor?
    How do I check it?
    Thanks