Golf GTI mk 2 1.8 wont start changed the fuel pump already

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jr2308, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Jr2308 New Member

I changed the fuel pump below the car now when it start the car it started for a second then it dies. Can anyone suggest what could be the problem and the solution to it ?

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Was the fuel pump faulty?

3. Jr2308 New Member

Nope when i turned it on i can hear the fuel pump working on the bottom of car and we even checked the front of the car where the Oil would go and i think its the cold start injector cause it doesnt squirt the oil out do you think that, it could be the problem?

4. Tristan

Why did you change the pump?
    Is it a k-jet?

5. Jr2308 New Member

i changed the fuel pump because the car was my dad and he left it alone for a while i asked him if there was something wrong with the car he said the fuel pump and the rest is still fine. but since its a car thats been sat for 2 years im pretty sure its more than a fuel pump the first time i tried to start it before changing it, there was no start but then when i changed it there was a possible start. But do you guys know where are the possible place where i can buy a cold start injector for my vw golf gti mk 2?

6. Tristan

Can you explain a little more what you mean about the cold start injector at the front, with no oil squirting out.
    If it's a kjet, and it has a 5th injector, that would be in the manifold.
    I'd suspect you're looking at the warm up regulator.
    And oil certainly shouldn't squirt out anywhere.
    Try some fresh plugs and fresh petrol first, and check for a spark.

7. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

I agree with Tristan - new fuel, would also recommend a new fuel filter, change the spark plugs as you said along with checking/changing coil, HT leads, distributor and rotor

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

unplug the main pump under the car, then jump the fuel relay socket to check if the lifter pump has power (so the noise from the main main pump doesnt drown out sound of weedy little lifter)

you can jump it by looping a wire between the 2 big pins in the socket, or you can swap a 17/18/100 relay into fuel pump position then pumps will run all the time ignition is on. this is the 'x-live' relay you should have one in the fusebox below the fuel relay on a CE1