Golf Mk2 1991 16v Oak Green OEM trim and details

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by saladman, Jul 22, 2020.

1. saladman

saladman Paid Member Paid Member

Hi, I recently bought a 1991 (J plate) Oak Green 16v and after getting it sorted ish mechnically I'm trying to get the info / specs on small details together - to try and get it as OEM as possible. Had a good look around the forum but thought it would be good to get all in one place.

It's running KR engine - looks like the inlet manifold has been painted at some point. What colour(s) should it be? It's currently black with red lettering / logo.

Door cards - these have black and grey stripes. I have seen some red/green/blue stripe versions around - not sure which ones are correct.

Outer door handles - these have been replaced with the crappy new ones that are all over eBay. Need to get some proper ones on there - but should they have black or metal inserts?

Glove box - I've seen some 16vs that have a red 16v badge on them, not sure if this car should have one.

Front grille - the VW badge is currently black which I think is correct. No GTi or 16v badge - which I think should be there?

Rear VW badge is silver which I think is correct

Resting position of rear wiper is flat at the bottom, is this correct or should it be 'cocked' up like I've seen on older models?

I'm sure there are other small details I've missed - would be great if I can get some help with the above and hopefully it helps others out too. Hard to get back to OEM after 30 odd years and almost as many owners haha.

Cheers

2. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

Hi if you have rainbow trim your door cards should have the black and grey stripes, glove box should have the red and black 16v badge on it you should have the combined GTi 16v badge on it, your rear wiper has been moved to the so called "lay flat" position popular mod back in the day you can just move the arm on the wiper motor spindle back to the original position with the wiper arm in the "cocked up " position I think the front and rear VW badges are correct as you stated and the black door handle inserts I think but I may be wrong on those, you should have an aerial black plastic bung on the left hand wing as yours will have a bee sting aerial. and on my 16v its a 92 J plate the front big bumper has black plastic covers on the vertical struts below the number plate. Hope this is of help to you, pictures of your car will help.

3. saladman

Blimey that was quick! Nice one.

Yep, working on getting images up - been a while since I logged into my Flickr account and lost the details.. I'll get photos up when I can. Photobucket seems to put big watermarks all over images these days.

Yes there is a black plastic bung on left wing and bee sting aerial rear centre of the roof.

I'll double check the black plastic covers underneath the number plate - although the front bumper is currently held up with shoelaces on either side so it's been in the wars. Seems reasonably well held on at the front/centre - my understanding is the bumper is partly attached to the engine mounting at the front - so haven't rushed into whipping it off just yet.

Good to know about the door cards - do you know what model or trim spec had the blue/red/green striped door cards?

I'll do a bit more digging on the rear wiper mod as seems to me if I just move the wiper, how does the mechanism know which way to swipe? If I just relocate the arm on the spindle it feels like it would end up out of sync (spindle at 'top' of stroke when arm at bottom, and vice versa)

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1. bare aluminium, blue lettering
    2. check the options sticker in the boot, this will tell you what interior it left the factory with

5. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

As RJ says your boot sticker will state your cars trim options from the factory. The rear wiper motor just rotates if I remember correctly so moving the arm on the motor spindle just moves the wiper arm position iirc, I would suggest removing the rear wiper arm or hinging it to the vertical position while adjusting/ checking iirc you will need to adjust the wiper arm position anyway. Are the door cards a light grey colour with blue/ red / green stripes I think are off a golf driver.

6. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

7. saladman

OK finally worked out how to upload some images - put a couple up in the 'Hello' section - here's a couple more including the label in the boot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used the label decoding tool here: http://igorweb.org/equidec.aspx and managed to get info from most codes.

Sourced a replacement front grille badge, the lettering was black but I bought some silver vinyl, stuck it on then cut around with a fresh stanley blade. Will need to try again to get a great result but looks OK from about a metre away ha.

Thanks Dragonfly for the link to 16v glovebox badge and wiper stuff + thanks others for input so far... small steps in getting this golf sorted!

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin