Golf Mk2 20vt

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by jshep73, May 22, 2019.

1. jshep73 Forum Member

Hello all

Thought I'd start a fresh thread for my intended Mk2 20vt build

Owned the car for 4.5 years. It's had a 16v with Weber carbs on since I bought it. But it simply does not have enough power!

Fancied the 20vt conversion for a while now, even though it is possibly more than my basic skills can manage!

Here's my car:

[​IMG]

Bought a donor car last week, AUM with K03s and 02J box:

[​IMG]

Bought some engine brackets and mounts. And I have a mk2 pedal box being modified to have hydraulic clutch and DBW throttle.

I will probably be asking many (stupid) questions in the coming months. So thanks in advance!

I think my plan will be to get the engine in and running with K03s turbo. However it depends on the condition of the manifold and turbo on the donor car.

A few questions I already have:
    1. Car currently has a Facet fuel pump underneath, I assume this will be man enough?! I only have 1 fuel pipe but I notice the 20vt engine has a return aswell. What is the best solution here?
    2. Intercooler pipes and hoses, what to use? Where to buy?
    3. Can I use the donor car clutch slave and master cylinders?
    4. Where can I get a short 'stubby' brake master cylinder?
    5. There are many intercoolers to choose from, what fits with minimal fuss?

16v engine will be coming out soon! Updates to follow...

Cheers

James
    [​IMG]

ConorRK likes this.
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1. nope, facet is only meant to supply carbs, and yes you need a return too. You'll want a proper fuel injection pump, ideally a swirl pot to keep it fed and a supply pump to fill the pot. MK2 setup is lifter pump in the tank (this might still be there) and main pump under the car which sits inside a plastic housing which functions as a swirl pot. another way to do it is tank, lines, rear wiring loom and filter carrier from any petrol engine mk3 then drop a GTI, 16v, or vr6 pump inside it. Bin off the carbon canister line and feed the white valve on filler neck direct to the mk2 rubber fuel filler surround. Split the 4 wires from pump to fusebox out the mk3 loom and drop it in the mk2 it will then plug right in.

2. depends on what you want out of the car, I would investigate others builds and see what they used. once intercooler is chosen then you fit or make boost pipes to suit, intercooler size will also determine how big the cooling radiator can be

3. it depends what route you use on the pedal box conversion William Skelton has a guide somewhere on modifying the mk4 clutch pedal to fit, but basically to offer it up do some cutting and welding and drill a hole in bulkhead. If you go that route then the MK4 slave can be used, and the pipe I assume will fit too with a slight tweak. MK4 Clutch master wont fit on the usual corrado/passat type pedal box though, you would use the matching cylinder for that and the MK2/3/corrado passat master wont work direct with the mk4 slave either as it uses different pipe fittings. I think you can get adaptors, but just easier to just use the MK2/3/corrado/passat slave.

4. SEAT Ibiza 20v, or ford focus. this is well covered, plenty on ebay. just if its not pre-drilled to suit mk2 servo get a spacer or grind the spud down on servo.

5. see 2! mk4 one might do you for the initial build, sometimes it pays to keep things simple for the first fit then worry about upgrades later.

erreesse likes this.
  3. jshep73 Forum Member

Very helpful - thanks.

I am currently trying to get the pedalbox out. Looks like the steering rack needs to come out. Maybe even the dash?

I have a mk2 pedalbox that has been modified so hoping it will go straight in once I have bashed the bulkhead for the clutch MC.

Lots of suggestions for G60 flywheel and VR6 clutch. What's wrong with standard?

Stubby master cylinders seem rare - can't find one. Also need the brake resevoir with the outlet for clutch pipe.

Cheers

4. rubjonny

try taking out the bush that the hook part bottom of the column tube pops onto, pull the bolt out the side and bush will then be loose might give you that little bit of extra wiggle

the stock 20v has a DMF setup, so people use the g60 type flywheel and vr6 clutch to get shot of it. can have flywheel from any 4 cylinder corrado and b3/4 pasdsat (manual obvs) plus mk3 abf and tdi and a fair few others

master cylinder needs to match the pedal box, what you need depends which one it was modified for! if I had done it I'd have made it work with a mk3 golf one as those are easy to get. corrado and passat that bit harder

brake reservoir go mk3 hunting in scrappy, often even poverty spec have the nipple on you just snip the plug off the end and jobs a goodun

erreesse likes this.
  5. jshep73 Forum Member

Ok pedalbox is out after unbolting the steering column from the bulkhead. New one is bolted in and ready for bulkhead bashing and drilling. The clutch pedal has a threaded nut welded to it with a bolt. So I can use a clutch MC with the double hole thing on the end.

G60 flywheel and VR6 clutch kit ordered.

Unsure if I will actually need a small brake MC and some people say it’s not needed. I will find the reservoir from a mk3... cheers.

I still have the 16v fuel pump which is good. Does the return line run from engine back into the tank? I guess so as there is still a pipe from the tank under my car which has a bung in it. I guess I can just use a few metres ofnew 7mm fuel line?

Many thanks

6. rubjonny

the return from the fuel rail goes to the top of the mk2 pump housing then there is another pipe next to it which returns back to the tank. its pretty obvious when you fit it up to the car :)

only tricky bit is the feed from the lift pump has a larger outlet on the end so you'll need to source the adaptor hose if you haven't got this. part number is 171201543B. sold here but not in stock, says back in 4 days or so though:
    https://www.customandcommercial.com...axl/fuel_hose_joiner_flexi_7fslash11mm_25181/

7. jshep73 Forum Member

Thanks Jonny.

Making slow progress, doing what I can evenings and weekends.

Clutch master cylinder attached to bulkhead and clutch pedal.

Engine removed from donor car, spilt 1 or 2 litres of oil on my driveway!!!

Next job is to remove gear level etc and mount to the mk2. And check over the 20v engine, then it's going in!!

Is there any advantage to changing the intake manifold to one with the throttle body on passenger side? Apart from tidying the bay a little?

Cheers

8. jshep73 Forum Member

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    erreesse likes this.
  9. jshep73 Forum Member

Engine is now nearly ready to go in the mk2. New cambelt, tensioner, waterpump and G60 flywheel and VR6 clutch all done. Engine mounts attached. Air con compressor removed.

Just need turbo gasket kit, alternator belt and exhaust manifold gasket. Should be going in soon :-)

Loom is out of the donor, I am sending it off to be done next week.

Long list of things to do, main ones at the moment are fuel pump and fuel lines, then securing gear selector so that I'm happy with it, then fitting the throttle pedal to my pedalbox.

Need to order a Trackslag downpipe and probably a chargepipe.

Cheers all

10. jshep73 Forum Member

How do I edit my signature???

11. rubjonny

Hello, I had a play with the forum switches and now you should be able to edit your signature :thumbup:

Turns out Admins didn't have permissions either, but as I could edit in the admin control panel instead didn't notice until you asked and couldnt find the option :lol:

12. jshep73 Forum Member

Just had a look at the standard 16v fuel pump I had in a box and it is a rusty mess. I will order a new fuel filter and accumulater. Is there somewhere that sells the short fuel lines with the banjos, washers etc ???

13. rubjonny

if you're going 20v you dont need the accumulator or the banjo type fuel lines, can bin the lot and pop an m12x1.5 -> 7/8mm banjo adaptor into the main pump and use push fit hoses front to back :)

the plastic lines will have threaded fittings on but you could change the main line for a mk3 golf one to sort that, the return off the mk3 goes straight to the tank so you need a mk2 digifant for that or grab the mk3 and cut it under the car. be sure to dig the brass insert out of the tank end and fit it into the cut end so the hose clips wont crush the pipe, the return is under no pressure so it wont come undone once clamped with proper fuel pipe clip.

alternatively with the threaded fittings if you chop the plastic/rubber off the end you are left with a barbed fitting you can push your rubber fuel lines onto

erreesse likes this.
  14. jshep73 Forum Member

Ah that's much easier!

I will bin the lot and run a feed and return all the way to the bay.

How is this possible then? Surely needs a fuel filter aswell?

15. rubjonny

yeah you fit a digi/mk3 fuel filter where the kjet one used to be, rubber hose from the pump barbed adaptor to filter and rubber from filter to the black plastic line. when you're looking at the donor MK3 to rob the parts from it becomes obvious :)

16. jshep73 Forum Member

Engine and gearbox are now in with various new brackets and new mounts. Downpipe and driveshafts bolted up. Wiring loom also done over the last few weeks. Just need to figure out the alternator wiring.

Currently waiting for parts... lambda sensor (left the original on the donor car when it was scrapped!) 2 x oil pressure sensors (sold the 16v housing with them left in), new fuel pump, fuel filter, map sensor (also threw the original away attached to the standard intercooler), new clutch master cylinder as the plastic hole for the pedal end has snapped on the current one!!!

I have a mk3 tank/brackets, wiring, fuel lines. I have taken the fuel pump housing out of the tank but it was just lying down?!?! Looks like there are remnants of the plastic fixings in the tank. Like someone has smoothed them off. WTF... kinda need them!

I swear the most time lost is waiting for parts.

Next step will be changing the engine and gearbox oil, new spark plugs and then put the front end on and mount an intercooler and then piping.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!!

Photo's to follow....

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  17. rubjonny

if someone has ground off the retaining cup from the bottom of the tank you can switch to a mk4 golf fuel pump, just need to swap awire for the level sender and swap the mk3 pins into mk4 pump plug

erreesse likes this.
  18. jshep73 Forum Member

How strange. My fuel pump has arrived but it is for a mk4! Think I will source a mk4 plug!

19. rubjonny

well that was handy :lol: mod like so:
    16226-2fed0869928ab8af1a6472b5e5495af4.jpg

20. jshep73 Forum Member

Johnny, can you explain the above? Looks like the blue wire needs moving looking at my new pump housing? For the level I would assume? Ok think I answered my own question there.

I'm going to have to buy a 4pin plug for the pump as I don't have any spares. And I guess I can find some info online for the wiring for it.

Someone has definately ground off the tabs inside the fuel tank - Why would this be done?