Golf Mk2 20vt

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by jshep73, May 22, 2019.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah you have to be careful when buying these as not all of them are m10. can just use adaptor as above though. can mod the MC to take mk2/3 reservoir, you remove seals pop £ coins in and grind down the middle tower.

easier to just change plug to suit cap though

dodgy likes this.
  2. jshep73 Forum Member

Thanks Dodgy, I will order a couple of those adapters!

And thanks RubJ, I need to use the reservoir with the clutch MC nipple on though. New connector shall be sourced.

3. rubjonny

yeah can use a mk3 one with nipple, then mk2 cap fits. or just swap plug :)

4. BISSONE Forum Member

I fitted a 22mm MK3 late spec master cylinder to a L reg MK3 I had once which had M10 ends and the new 22mm master cylinder had M12 so I actually inserted Helicoils into the master cylinder to reduce the size and was totally successful and worked well. Not expensive either and no messing just twist them in, snap the peg off and screw your old brake pipes in.

5. jshep73 Forum Member

Tempting Bissone, thanks for the advice! I'm going to order 2 x adapters though!! Another £20 thrown at the car. Ha

6. jshep73 Forum Member

Intercooler came, so I had a little play around. I actually thought I might mount it low down on the crossmember but when I put the bumper on I realised the intercooler will get barely any air from the lower bumper. So the only option is to put it in the grill and run single headlight grille, which is a little annoying.

INTERCOOLER1.jpg

So I got my favourite toy out (ANGLE GRINDER) and chopped the front up abit. I didnt completely flatten the slam panel that it is resting on... I left the bits at the sides to that the grille could still clip in on each side.

Ordered some silicone pipes to get me started with the piping... see how it looks and what else I will need etc

erreesse likes this.
  7. jshep73 Forum Member

Oversized TIP arrived from Creations, I can confirm that is is definately large!!

TIP1.jpg

Trackslag 2.5" chargepipe also trial fitted - Quite impressed with the quality of this and the exhaust downpipe. MIGHT buy a full exhaust, but first things first, get the car started / driving etc.

Not a massive fan of the whole N75 valve plugging into the top of the TIP and all the ugly pipes coming from it. Could I extent the pipe from the TIP so that the N75 is then underneath? Thereby tidying the bay up abit????

erreesse likes this.
  8. jshep73 Forum Member

Lastly for today, I started looking at the wiring at the fusebox and in the dash. A few unplugged wires I would trace and work out I didn't need them using the A2 Resource website.

I have found this mess though.... All been cut, the loom then goes to toward passenger side / glovebox area. Does anyone know what this is:

DASHWIRES1.jpg

Need to do something with it as there are bare wires! What the heck is wrong with some people?

9. rubjonny

thats the radio harness there, chase the cables see if they're all in one bundle. if so thats all speakers.

On the radio power side red is live for radio, brown/red which may be key-in-ignition switched live though this is only on run-out spec. brown would be earth, yellow/white speed signal and grey/blue illumination.

10. jshep73 Forum Member

Ah yes of course it is speaker wires! Someone has chopped the cables and wired in new thicker speaker cable...

11. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

You definitely want to buy a full trackslag, quality, sound, customer service. Everything is brilliant.

The 3.5” dp we had was a work of art

12. jshep73 Forum Member

You've convinced me!

I think I'll wait til the engine is running - just because!

Also spoke to a mate of a mate at the weekend as he can weld and I need a few brackets made up. Coolant reservoir bracket, catch can bracket etc etc and his answer was something I didn't even consider.... 'Just buy a welder and do it yourself!' What a fantastic idea! So I'm now looking at a welder, mask, gloves etc and I plan on teaching myself some basics! Isn't it great when you need to buy a new tool / toy and get to surf the net researching and reading up etc. Quite excited at this point!

13. Savagesam

Haha, learning to weld is good fun. Just being able to make up what you want is nice.

Weve had a 2.5” complete system, 3” complete, 3.5” DP. And if they’d make one for my 4WD build, I’d buy it tomorrow!

14. jshep73 Forum Member

Do you have a build thread for this 4WD build?

I have the charge pipe and the 3.5" DP from trackslag, which as you say is beautiful!!

DP.JPG

15. Savagesam

Yeah it’s a bit further down the members section :)

16. jshep73 Forum Member

Now THAT'S A PROJECT!!! Love it!

Savagesam likes this.
  17. jshep73 Forum Member

Currently waiting on more silicone boost hoses, aluminium joiners, T-clamps, fuel pump plug, MC spacer. All ordered from various sources and all taking their sweet time. BUT it won't be long until I can fill with fluids and try and start it, although the downpipe is not connected to the exhaust.

While I wait for parts I vacuumed the interior and checked the wiring at the fusebox. I have read also of people asking questions about fuel pump relays and general fuel related wiring. Do I need to do any changes to the relay or it's position from standard?

Could anyone assist with these connections please...

3plugs.jpg
    All 3 are wrapped together and run behind the instrumental cluster toward the radio.

Secondly I have 2 single pin connections on the lighting loom. Yellow and yellow/blue. Possibly were never connected anyway?!

2singles.jpg

More updates to follow in the next couple of weeks...

18. rubjonny

fusebox relays depends on the guy making your loom. I would wire it so the ecu controls a factory mk2/3 fuel relay so rear wiring loom is standard, but others bypass fusebox and add their own. loom builder also may or may not need an ecu relay in slot 3.

1st pic all for the 16v isv controller, follow and remove the lot. isv controller is in demand for 16v conversions as everyone forgets to take it out of the donor car. 2nd pic is for dimdip resistor, leave disconnected

jshep73 likes this.
  19. jshep73 Forum Member

Thanks.

Loom builder confirmed stock position 12 with a 80, 67 or 167 fuel relay.

And excellent, just as I was hoping all of that wiring is not required!

Cheersssssssssss

20. jshep73 Forum Member

Could some kind person what this long wiring is for? The white connector goes near the n/s strut into a junction of the lighting loom. I thought it was for indicators or side repeaters but I believe I have everything lighting wise on lighting loom ?!?!

wires.jpg

Cheers