Golf MK2 ABF front upper strut bar

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by KristianBG, Nov 19, 2022.

1. KristianBG New Member

Hello guys, I was wondering if the 16v mk2 strut bar will fit in the MK2 with an abf conversion or is there any on the shelf strut bar which can fit. This is the only picture I found on the internet with an abf(standart digi management) in mk2 and a strut bar.

[​IMG]

2. Adamss24 Forum Member

I have made my one out of 2.0mm thick stainless tube and welded the ends to some 4mm stainless discs I cut on a lathe ! I then got a screw with reverse threads on it to tighten it as far as it could !

There are ally ones floating about, can’t tell if they do much as they’re quite soft… C2C1CA2B-7690-48DE-88B5-6F8844C78C09.jpeg 6AD24B63-5856-4D04-BBB8-730EA330C0A7.jpeg

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Because Adamss24, an ABF engine is at lest 16 mm taller, then some at the OE throttle body, than a KR/9A Kjet engine, you will struggle to fine an off the self strut bar.

The picture the OP shared must have modified the sturt bar to work around the throttle body.

4. daNpy Forum Member

He's looking for a strutbar like this, because the intake manifold goes over the engine head. The throttlebody is then in the upper left corner, next to the strut-dome. A straight bar does not work as it will interfere with all that.

Motorkap_aampassingen.jpg

(Don't mind the other marks)

5. Toyotec

Did you not see the picture the OP posted, asking for a brand who makes one off the shelf?

6. daNpy Forum Member

Yes I did and the picture might be a bit more clear than in the OP. I can't find one quickly with the KR mounted unfortunately.
    Also, I have been thinking about the brand I have but I just can't remember.

A quick search on Google gives some result, OMP has one but not bent as far out, and then this one:
    https://strperformance.com/en/golf-2/355-adjustable-front-upper-strut-bar-for-volkswagen-golf-2.html
    Which looks mirrored but the bend looks it gives quite some space.

When I search in German the Wiechers looks like the one I have. They offer a set (upper, lower and rear) for € 280,-
    Or this second hand for 50 https://www.ebay.de/itm/27521412905...ake:VW&hash=item40140a57a0:g:ijAAAOSw2R5iMPD0

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
  7. Toyotec

DaNpy,
    Just simply look at my signiture for a picture of an plenum'd ABF'd MK2 Golf aka JENVEE, JORAN etc.

8. Toyotec

Yeah, you can get away with a KR/9A engine. Plenty of those.

Fit an ABF engine engine, and as I said not only the engine height increase creates a problem, but also the OE throttle body. There is an extra hump on the throttle body for a purge port. That also increases the height somewhat.
    Problem is not there with a ADL 1.8 16v from Seat Ibiza/Cordoba for example.
    Even with the original KJet system on an ABF, the extra height can still foul the bonnet at the throttle linkage.
    So fitting a brace, designed for a KR, PL, 9A or AAL becomes a challenge on an ABF conversion, with KJet or with the OE Digifant 3.X.

Hence either finding one designed for a conversion (no money in that) or making it yourself.

Trust me, been there and done that with the ABF engine.

KristianBG and daNpy like this.
  9. KristianBG New Member

Thank you Toyotec, you and John are probably the most knowledgeable lads in this forum, learned a lot from you. Ive already had a problem with the purge port hitting the bonnet due to a bad gearbox mount (the hydraulic one, gonna swap it for a G60 solid rubber one). Probably gonna try to make a custom strut bar. ✌️

10. KristianBG New Member

11. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Is a 9A a direct swap for a 1.8 KR?, what the benefits of an ABF over a 9A?.

Cheers, Keith.

12. Steffen Forum Member

It should be a Wiechers, I had the same issue with the ABF in a MK1. Wiechers did fit.

daNpy likes this.
  13. Toyotec

Pretty much Kjet wise, just the inlet camshaft from the KR to swap into the 9A (early one with) for all the torques at high revs.
    Basically you would then have a South African AAL.

The ABF code, has several benefits as an OE production engine over the AAL/KR as it has less piston skirt loading, so less internal friction at higher engine speeds, more dwell at TDC for cylinder pressure expansion, reduced valve shrouding, more flow around the exhaust valve due to the 27 mm valve head, improved camshaft profiles.

Those ingrediants are assembled together, creating what some of first discovered when driving cars of "How to ABF your MK2 Golf"

Original car from that thread still on the road today.

[​IMG]

KeithMac likes this.
  14. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Cheers, seems ABF is way forward if I ever buy an engine to build for my 16v!.

Would my Kent 1602-r cams work with it?.

15. Toyotec

That depends on what they actually achieved with the old engine and how well they were dialed in to start with.
    Personally, I would not bother.
    ABF engines just really need a good understanding and setup.

Look at all the posts we have written over the years about that engine. Good enthusiastic performance was achieved on a standard engine most times.

16. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Cheers will have a gold read up.

Hopefully my KR will go again with a bit of fettling but always good to have a plan B..

17. Toyotec

Less torque on a KR everytime.

18. KristianBG New Member

Yes, I can confirm this. Fully rebuild standard ABF engine mated to 8v ACD gearbox, standard 020 flywheel ( around 5kg +-), 8v downpipe mated to 2 inch exhaust system, revs nicely and spanks a lot of cars [:D]