Golf mk2 /mk3 conversion

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by valvemiester, Jul 9, 2020.

1. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

Hi all after some advice please I have just started to strip my N reg Golf GTi 8v 3 door to use as a donor for my mk2 Golf Driver 1.6 its a small bumper 1989 F reg with CE1 wiring, I was planning to use the front subframe and rear beam with all suspension/brakes, engine, fuel tank pump etc as I have the complete car. What else can I/should I use ? I do have a spare CE2 loom knocking around or can I use the mk3 loom ? Also I do have a couple of mk2 GTi 8v head and gearboxes as well as a 2.0 mk3.5 box or should I use the gearbox from my mk3 donor ? TIA

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the 2.0 box is a little taller than a mk2 gti one, so id go for a mk2 gti box personally if you have one in good nick

wiring wise its up to you, converting to ce2 means all the loom front to back, steering column tube, ignition lock and stalks, clocks and fusebox hanger. the mk3 ignition lock and stalks could be used as could the stalk and ignition wiring but everything else is different. or you can splice the mk3 loom to ce1 like so:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/ce1-abf-splicing-of-looms-help.249714/

3. valvemiester

Hi RJ thank you for the info, at present stripping the mk3 of everything before it goes for scrap.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

drag the full rear loom out regardless, split out the 4 wires from pump back to fusebox and it'll either plug right in if you go ce2 or you can tap pump power straight to fusebox as per factory gti if you stay ce1

5. valvemiester

Cheers RJ that's on my list of things to take out in fact pretty much everything is coming out/off, what I don't need later I will try to sell on.