Got me another Mk2

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Marky4787, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Marky4787

Marky4787 Paid Member Paid Member

Hello

Well after having my 1.8t for nearly a couple years now I thought I’d really like a 3.2 v6 conversion as I don’t think you can beat that sound!

Anyway brought me a cat b Audi A3 with a 3.2 for £1200 stripped it all and sold all the other bits for just under £1000 went about getting me the relevant bits to make it fit a mk2

had to move my mk2 when the A3 was ready to be scrapped and that was it! I started it for the first time in a couple months and thought why am I changing the engine! So thought how about I buy another Mk2 lol

so impulse buy later I saw a mk2 1.8 gti J reg on eBay ad stated it had rust in the usual places and many parts missing but I thought what the hell, offered the guy £2500 and it was mine had it collected and delivered the same day!

the car was rough unfortunately and I mean really rough but it had 80000miles and hasn’t been MOT, since 2010!!!

Interior is in really good condition with no rips to the seats which I was very happy about

the front chassis legs are gone so they need replacing and the other places like rear sills rear arch, drain holes at the front, luckily VW heritage sells the repair panels so should be ok, a friend has a nice snap-on welder so hopefully between us we can sort it

Got the car yesterday gave it a wash then this morning started dismantling it, it’s got the original 8v but wasn’t running its missing the driveshafts and the middle section of the exhaust and various other bits

the headliner is missing I’m guessing due to sagging but unfortunately it’s missing a lot of the upper interior trims

I’ve removed the engine and subframe and rear axle still got to tackle the interior but then I’ll be able to see just how much work is required

not sure what to do with it? Restore it with the 8v or rebuild it with the 3.2? All depends on the rust issues really but I’m hoping I can make it road worthy again, it just needs everything doing including brakes and suspension lots and lots of surface rust on the axle and subframe and just going to do the best I can at the moment and make my way through

Hope you like the pictures I think a lot of the rust is just surface rust that started under the under seal and won’t need much to sort it but obviously the arches, sill and chassis rails need replacing

also had my 9yr helping me out for the day bless him

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    erreesse and dodgy like this.
  2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Teach 'em young. My lad was always in the garage with me from the age of 3 'helping ' on my minor.

3. Marky4787

he got bored after the engine came out! Said his hands were cold lol bless him, might have to get the 6yr old involved instead……..having fun with this one, might have to learn to weld to make this one worth anything, hoping it’s not a waste of money, there’s not many 80000 mk2’s left so thought it’s got to be saved!!

Vinnie and dodgy like this.
  4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Fair play to you dude.

Marky4787 likes this.
  5. Vinnie Paid Member Paid Member

Doesn’t look like it’s to bad will have that sorted in know time [:D]

Marky4787 likes this.
  6. Vinnie Paid Member Paid Member

Keeping it n/a

7. Marky4787

I still cant decide if I should keep the original 1.8 or use the 3.2, if I was to use the 3.2 I'd keep it NA

I am leaning more towards the 3.2 just hoping I can get the welding side done and it's not to much hassle

Vinnie likes this.
  8. Vinnie Paid Member Paid Member

When I started my build on here I was in two minds as well . But as I have totally rebuilt it I thought why not have some fun too [:D] 3.0 vr6 turbo should help it down the road

Marky4787 likes this.
  9. Marky4787

I’m thinking fun too lol

Vinnie likes this.
  10. Marky4787

unfortunately I'm not going to be able to save the new mk2 :cry: just keeps getting worse the more I dig, pulled all the interior and all floor pans are rotted sunroof gutters are rotted behind rear bumper is rotted behind the lights are rotted :( incase you cant tell its rotten :p but hey I now have a massive amount of spares for my other mk2 so going to use everything I can to make my good mk2 even better

I will be selling most items from the mk2 so if anyone see's something they like let me know before I put it on ebay

I do feel kinda sad we are losing a mk2 but this one is to far gone

11. caddyboet

caddyboet Paid Member Paid Member

Always sad to send one off to the grave, but once they are too far gone you have to cut your losses.

I'd be interested in a front driver's side wheel arch trim, and a rear passenger wheel arch trim if yours are in decent nick and looking for a new home. :thumbup:

12. Vinnie Paid Member Paid Member

Have you still got all the glass

13. Marky4787

Sorry bud, everything is gone now, sorry for the late reply

Vinnie likes this.
  14. Vinnie Paid Member Paid Member

No worries