Gwendoline the golf

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Cressa, Aug 14, 2021.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1. for fog switch go back behind the fusebox and look for a grey/yellow female spade. If you've plugged it into the matching grey./yellow male spade fogs wont work unless you add a fog light relay #53 to slot 7. this is only needed if you have front fogs though, if not the factory way is plug the female spade to M/1 and leave the male spade disconnected.

2. heater panel illumination is the 2 pin plug on the left with grey/blue and brown, check for 12v across the pins. more likely the bulb in the panel has blown

3. no switched live to the radio on these, only the very last runout 91-92 mk2 got them, unless it had seatbelt warning system. you can tap into the ciggy lighter which is the thin black/red wire on the 2 pin spade plug towards the driver side of the loom, go straight to fusebox G spade 1,2,3 or 5 or add a pin to ignition switch pin S which is the factory location though not all ignition switches have the terminal (2.8mm latched female spade needed)

2. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for the help. Regarding front fogs I did find a double plug hiding below the expansion tank, which switches live on the front fog position. Would this need a relay still?
    I have 12v at the heater panel and have now broken/removed it in getting to the bulb. I dont fancy sorting that!!
    No switched live saves me a problem. The car doesnt even have a stereo

3. rubjonny

yeah the plug is always there for front fogs, but if you dont actually have any no need for the relay

4. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

I think there was a thread here showing the LED conversion for all the dash lighting including the heater panel - correct me if I'm wrong here but is the bulb for the heater almost built-in to the panel and a dog to remove? You could try Brendan Moss etc. for a decent working 2nd hand unit

5. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I do have some to fit and would like to in an OE way. I don't have a relay in no.7 position which is confusing as I have switched 12 volts at the plug as mentioned. I don't want to draw excess current or overload the cable.
    Do you have a wiring diagram of this circuit as I would rather relay in the correct position than put something in the engine bay

6. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

The bulb does look a dog to remove. I will have a better search

7. rubjonny

ok all you need to do is fit the 53 relay in slot 7, locate the 2 grey/yellow spade wires I mention then join together. run your fog lights to that 2 pin plug and you're done :)

8. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Tomorrow's job is to look at the fog wiring, thanks. Look at taking a wing off so that all the inner can be repainted and maybe take the passenger door card off. Water is definitely coming in from somewhere!

9. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Well I got the n/s wing off but only after removing 90% of my front end as I got carried away. Just some surface rust on the inner wing that I have got back to metal, treated, primed and started to get some paint on.
    Some questions are
    Us it worth faffing with dented and rusty old genuine wings, against getting some zinc primed replacements..... hmmmm
    Bulbs have come so I can look at the panel light
    The eibach springs I have had for 3 months do not bloody fit. I opened them up and these are for a Honda civic!! To be fair to autodoc they are sorting it.
    I have just got the alpine replacenent dash speakers and after cutting the side spring tabs off they fit. I just want to get the correct coloured cables to rewire them.
    Suspension..... front. I have bought meyle bump stops and when fitted there is probably 1cm of rubber that sits on the piston shoulder where the thread is and stops this from dropping down. Then the washer, then the spring plate. My concern Is that the bump stops will stop the washer from reaching the bottom of the threads. Is it meant to be like this? In squashing the bump stop at this point will it deteriorate in time and cause sloppiness, or is it all designed to have the rubber above the shoulder.
    I probably am over thinking it and just need my hand holding
    I still think I am sinking tooo much money into this car
    20211005_182707.jpg 20211005_182615.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2021
  10. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Don't get me started on sinking money into cars (particularly VW Golf's) - lawless

11. rubjonny

you're supposed to push the bump stop right down onto the shock piston

12. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

That's what I thought and tried. But the top of the damned bump stop just does not seem wide enough to get past the shoulder of the piston, it just pushes the piston down.

13. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

So I gave it some effort and the sodding thing finally pushed past

14. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

A bit of lube...

Oooh, madam... Lol.

Vinnie likes this.
  15. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

16. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Just done this mate, so a big thank you. I dont know how you know this stuff yet it is very impressive. Happy that it is done correctly using the relay

17. rubjonny

many, many years of playing with wiring looms and collecting wiring diagrams (gotta catch em all! :lol:)

18. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Happy postie day. Just got home and I have what looks like the correct springs. Strangely the fronts have a plastic covering on the bottom few coils and I am wondering if that should stay on, to protect them when they touching under load and hopefully prevent rusting damage.
    What are your thoughts 20211015_202604.jpg

Attached Files:

19. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

So... I have put the front strut together.
    Strut-dust cap-bump stop-washer-spring-coil spring top plate- top mount-wierd nut
    That all goes nice. But there is a little wiggly play then on the top mount. These are all new, so what am I doing wrong? Is it like this for when it mounts on the car. It is screwed down tight, just seems strange.
    I cant remember my Corrado being like this!! Maybe it was.
    But I am not fitting it until I know it is right

20. rubjonny

lowering springs put a lot less pressure on the top mount, some you dont even need spring compressors to assemble and strip down. originals will fire the top cap into orbit if you try without compressors. in short, once its on the car with weight on you'll be fine