Gwendoline the golf

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Cressa, Aug 14, 2021.

1. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers RJ,
    10:1 says I have a non-CL set for a CL car but we will prevail.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Post a piccy if the back of boot lock we can confirm :)

3. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Won’t be able to do this until I’m back over in March but I certainly will

4. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

I only had an issue with the ignition key due to worn "innards". Dropped it off at Harrolds Locksmiths in Sheffield and they replaced the worn "wafers" with some they had in stock for £30..... SORTED and no need to swap all the other locks !

Re the sunroof requiring parts...
    Have patience. Far too many people are asking silly money for parts. Don't make any rushed purchases. I think I spent £60 on a sunroof seal about 4 years ago off ebay and it was from a VW dealer

Classic VW charge £65 but currently out of stock:
    https://www.classic-vw.co.uk/sunroof-seal-321877209a-golf-corrado-scirocco-4332-p.asp

tip make sure you get a list together because the postage is a bit steep for one item.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  5. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Small world as i have used Harrold Locksmiths many times but never considered them for the car locks. I also use the alternator guy next door

6. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

It's the little things that give a lot of satisfaction . As I have painted the floor back to the rear seats I decided to freshen up the accelerator pedal stop.
    She's outside so this isnt the best weather for what I want to get done to her.
    Just need to sort tightening the suspension strut nuts correctly now that they are both on the car.
    Anyone have a tool I can borrow

Attached Files:

Vinnie likes this.
  7. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

The front strut top nut? If near Halifax I have one if want @Cressa

8. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Unfortunately I am at j31 at the M1, south Yorkshire, but thanks for the offer.
    I did empty the back of the car out today and spent hours sanding and preparing.... what a ball ache. It wont be a professional finish but it will be better than the scratches and rust spots. Even though it will all be covered by carpet! atleast it should last a good few years more.
    Also somewhere I read about a guy that reproduces the original boot data sticker, so I must find that advert before m
    20211130_170340.jpg 20211130_142951.jpg

erreesse likes this.
  9. dodgy

No worries, there is a thing in Haynes manual that suggests modifying a deep 13mm socket with a grinder.
    I got one off the bay, was reasonably cheap, but had to grind it slightly to fit the ears in the nut.

10. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I've done the strange shaped nut. It's the top nut that fixes through the top plate. 22mm nut.
    I may have to chop a cheap deep socket up.

11. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

I live in Sheffield and have the required top mount socket. Let me dig ot out.
    I've converted to MK3 top mounts.

Yup found it and its on my desk.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  12. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Fantastic mate. I have replied to your PM

13. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Got some primer on. It won't be perfect but better than the rust and scratches

Attached Files:

Vinnie, erreesse and dodgy like this.
  14. AKAeddypeck Forum Member

Looks like that'll be good enough, don't do yourself down.

15. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

That looks great work Cressa. I think I saw the beginnings of this project over on the Corrado forum? You've moved on quickly and the car is very solid.

16. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

thank you
    Yes you did and good to see you haven't deserted the Corrado forum. I had to sorn mine as this golf is blocking her in.
    Thankfully this old girl seems to be quite solid apart from1 rear arch. I wish I had your welding skills

17. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

3 thin coats Alpine white, just need it to dry fully.
    I have to take on the Sunroof and inner roof challenge after this, so that may take some time.
    When all I want to do is put things back to free up space in the house

18. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Pictures..

Attached Files:

Vinnie, erreesse and dodgy like this.
  19. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I have done a little more. My rusty horrible lower front valance came back from being blasted, so that has had a coat of zinc primer on both sides and I have painted the inside.
    I even bought a set of dent/panel tools for £20 and set about sorting the dings and damaged/bent clip areas which was remarkably easy and all are now flat. The paint shop want me to leave the outside for them, fair enough
    The more I dig into, the more parts I find missing and they are all daft clips and screws that will pain me to find.
    I started on the inner roof area and that has had 2 coats of rust treatment. The sunroof tray awaits a flexible drill attachment so that I can de-rust.
    But I have removed all of the sunroof. I must say, this is simple compared to a corrado but I am missing parts so just need to find someone that has a cannibalised one that I could have some bits off. I shall put a wanted ad up!!
    My rain deflector plate had seriously rusted through and is now on the scrap heap.
    Rusty picture attached.
    So nothing nice until I get to paint these areas

Attached Files:

costel1969 likes this.
  20. dodgy

Good work on the front panel, panel tools are great, glad it didn't end up like father Ted's rover.
    Was lucky with my deflector as it was saveable but my side arms had rotted to some lovely tetanus inducing needles, managed to get stainless replacement ones but big bucks.