Gwendoline the golf

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Cressa, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

The finished 1st attempt
    4 more to go at over time.
    I will end up with 4 spares left over if anyone wants one, although they all need a refurb
    20211228_184227.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
    Vinnie, dodgy and Zender Z20 like this.
  2. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Just the sodding sunroof tray to get out, which has me stumped

3. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Excellent... came up like factory.

Fair play to you too, cutting around all those 'P's', patience of a saint!

4. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

The good thing about having covid and not being poorly..... undisturbed Golf time.
    Since the edges of the wings were shotblasted it was time to rust coat and zinc primer these areas. A few dents banged from the inside and quicksteel to reinforce and make good. The messiest part being the removal of the waxoyl so that I can stone chip the inside very soon. After final painting they will be waxoyled again
    The sunroof which had also been blasted on its edge needed priming and I even got to give the inside a fresh coat.I have managed to get most of the missing sunroof parts, just a leaf spring to source.
    Also the 2 front gti wheel arch spats that are really grey got a scrub and clean then a textured paint. I will see how they look in them morning but the transformation was instant
    Happy new year everyone

Attached Files:

costel1969, Vinnie and dodgy like this.
  5. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Great work cressa - those P Slots have come out lovely. Sorry to hear on the postivie covid and hope the lack of symptons continues. I had it 3 weeks ago and it was like a cold most of the time but got tired a lot. Gave it to my wife (triple jabbed) and she was similar to me but also lost her taste. Eldest daughter bought it into the house but only suffered for a day.

Happy New Year.

6. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Xmas is for sharing mate

7. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Had an hour stonechipping the inside the wings. I am considering running seam sealer on the inside edge the arch to give it extra protection perhaps. All overkill I am sure.
    And now I have both wind deflector arms they got a coat of paint. But I did drop them before fully dry, oh well.
    And the textured finish on the arch trims came out fine, so I will do the others when I find them
    Before and after pics to follow

Attached Files:

dodgy likes this.
  8. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

That wing picture threw me, thought me new glasses were playing up, was thinking 'my wing never had recesses for the arch'
    Then realised.

9. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

10. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

And the textured arch difference
    I did put some seam sealer on the inner arch edge, as i had some...

Attached Files:

Vinnie likes this.
  11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

when refitting roof, put all the rails and mech inside first without the panel on it, trust me. once all thats in you can measure it all up to make sure both sides are lined up perfectly, then you fit the winder block then drop the panel in. once its all working fine open the roof and drop the inner panel in, just need to bend it slightly so it fits in the rails then straighten. half close roof, clip trim back onto it. simples

12. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I will remember this. Although it won't be done until it has all had paint. For now it is the tray underneath the roof that I need to bite the bullet and get out.
    I am considering buying a roof cut and practising before I attack mine, as I can not see the bloomin spot welds..

13. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

A decent dry day so I thought I would get the rear axle off as it needs refurbing. It is in a bad state but christ those axle bolts were stiff to get off.
    I have stripped all the brakes and stub axles off so it ready for shotblasting, creating lots of parts that need de-rusting.
    Annoyingly the hard brake lines were tyrapped to the axle so they cant be copied. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't change to the caliper hose as in the picture . Google image search time for that remedy
    20220110_114803.jpg

Attached Files:

erreesse likes this.
  14. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

15. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

That my friend is brilliant, thank you.
    So annoyingly as my hard line was tryapped with a floating joint to the caliper hose and on the TOP of beam / handbrake cable to the bottom - suggests my calipers have been swapped for later ones !!

16. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Glad to help.

No harm if it's been updated, that stuff is probably easier to source.

17. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Took the rear beam, 2 brackets and brake compensatory arm in to the powder coaters. Came out with the front cross member and brackets, lower support panel, radiator fan cover and the horn bracket done. Seems a fair swap.
    Everyone likes freshly painted rustless products.
    I also picked up 2 more of the pirelli P's fresh from blasting.
    My head is all over this car, yet the sunroof tray rust is always niggling at me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    erreesse likes this.
  18. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Painted the stub axles whilst awaiting the return of the rear axle. Trying not to buy everything new..
    Seems I may have wasted my time cleaning and painting the axle brake line to caliper hose bracket as this the shorter underneath version. That explains why nothing was connected and the pipes were tyrrapped!!
    Big thoughts are on::-
    •Do I keep it original and put it back to early calipers. (Sightly cheaper than next option)
    Or
    •Get the brackets i need and upgrade to late mk3 or mk4 calipers (most expensive)
    Or
    •Get the brackets and use the ones I have. One fairly new but the other needs a refurb
    ( cheaper than above)

Attached Files:

19. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Radiator fan cowling back together. Horn waiting for me to find the 2 nuts !!! Bloody odd size, around m7 what I never have

20. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Just put 4 Febi bushes in the front engine carrier. I must have been feeling strong as I soaked them in hot water, sprayed silicone lubricant on it and managed to push 3 in by hand. Only 1 needed a large screwdriver to assist me.

But have I put them in the correct way? as the picture I had taken was not very clear..

Attached Files: