Gwendoline the golf

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Cressa, Aug 14, 2021.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Might be early ones, did struggle finding a picture of it, haven't been out to check but sure it's on Allie's golf, and the spares in garage, recollect pinging it off when removed it, or the mk3 reservoir, while ago now so bit hazy

2. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks gents. Mine is original and has no tab, but good to know

Attached Files:

PhilRyder and dodgy like this.
  3. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Late update.... As we all find , sometimes we just dont find the time we want to tinker with our cars.
    I have managed to replace all of the hard brake lines and bleed the system. I had to do it the old Skool way as I had borrowed a mate my pressure bleeder and I found it was missing its bleed screw so couldn't use it.
    Happy that they are done. Just need to get 2 types on the refurbed alloys so that I can move the damned thing.
    As there are a few of us at the same place with our mk2s, next stop may be pulling the engine out.
    Still go to sort the bloody sunroof tray tho.. I may have to invest in a die grinder to cut the whole thing out. It's in the way and hiding too much rust and holes. Hmmmm

dodgy likes this.
  4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

mk2 no tab, mk3era tabs added

5. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Not achieved much lately. I do have the rear wheels with new tyres back on the car so that I can move her around. She does look sorry for herself
    I text a guy who is breaking a mk2. I asked him for the sunvisors and insulation around the gearstick tunnel area. £220 he replied WTF..... are we having a laugh, you keep them
    Oh well

Attached Files:

6. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Engine stand question as I am thinking of getting one
    ?? Where do they bolt onto the actual mk2 gti engine?? To hold it up in the air

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
  7. dodgy

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  8. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for that
    I managed to have sometime labelling all the connections and slowly start disconnecting items ready for the big removal.
    Unfortunately I have found the vac pipe to the speedo looking as though it has broken from somewhere. Just need to find the other end as it wasnt very obvious !!
    I also found a red cable with a spade connector and black cover, down by the radiator. Not connected to anything.... so am wondering is this an unused item or am I missing something
    what do you guys think/ know ?
    20220411_165741.jpg 20220411_140344.jpg

9. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I have found the broken vac pipe connection, but here is my next bigger problem
    Whilst slowly removing all ancillary parts as I get to the engine, i thought I would remove the injectors . Hmmm
    3 have come out bare on the end
    1 has some kind of cover with a seal on it.
    I assume either they all should have that on.... and if so, how the hell do I get them out now? What are they?
    Or should this one have remained in the manifold?
    20220413_170214.jpg

10. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Are you following @saladman thread "Mk2 16v running woes" ? Have a look at the last few posts.

11. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Just had a read. Thankfully it will be a while b4 I try and restart it.

12. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Looks like I will have to tap them out when the manifold comes off. As they have a seal on I'm sure they will be hard... Be nice if I only have to get this part if available separately.
    Or I weigh up buying new against these being refurbished anyway!! Decisions, decisions.
    I shall carry on removing more parts int he meantime

13. rubjonny

unplugged connection is for rad fan after-run system, if its fitted there is a spade on headlight loom which connects to a spade on fan loom, and on headlight loom is a brown spade wire with black outer cover that goes to a brass thermoswitch near the inlet somewhere.

as for injectors you'll want to remove the inlet manifold and look inside, top hats may be sitting on top of your valves. if they're still in the inserts thats unwind them and you should be good, may as well do all the seals while there

14. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Had a play today around the gearbox. Damn it has oil everywhere. Even the driveshaft bolts were dripping. I couldn't find the side filler plug due to the dirt build up.. I havent enjoyed doing this but have managed to get the N/S driveshaft off and out. Just wondering if I can drop the gearbox out b4 the engine.

Attached Files:

15. rubjonny

yep sure can, but i would just take them out together much less faff

16. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I'm just getting impatient as I'm not quite ready for the whole lot. But will always listen to good advice

17. rubjonny

if it gives you some kind of advantage to take it out first by all means, but its way easier to just hoik it all out in one lump on a mk2 golf as you just pull the front off and slide it out

18. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Just ordered a sgs engine stand and will keep it for when I do my Corrado... maybe.
    Anyway my thoughts have got me on bolts for fixing through the stand to the engine where the gearbox was.
    Do I need to have longer bolts or do the existing ones fit/ long enough , as the stands look like they bolt through a tube......

19. dodgy

Used threaded rod for fitting the r32 engine to a stand, just chopped it to required length and bolted it through the tubes with nuts and washers each end or into threaded bits on engine.

20. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Now that I do have, thanks

Attached Files: