Handbrake cables mk4 calipers

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by dodgy, Apr 3, 2021.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

I have converted the rear of my driver to discs, used ibiza/polo 9n calipers and got a set of handbrake cables for the post 88 GTI as mine is 91 car.
    When fitted them the inner was about 5 inches too long so temporarily fitted a sleeve to take up the slack and ordered a set of earlier longer cables.
    The new ones fit the original route perfectly whereas the post 88 ones were shorter outer sleeves, but the inner seems even longer.
    Any suggestions as I am now unsure, but cannot find anything about cable problems fitting mk4 calipers, which I thought were externally the same as polo.
    Cheers Dave

Attached Files:

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I've mk4 calipers on my 90 spec GTI, with the original cables, no adapters or sleeves needed.

And when converting a mates 1.3 to discs, we used standard GTI cables too.

dodgy likes this.
  3. dodgy

I've put spacers between the guide tubes and the bracket at rear of the handbrake, and used the later cables.
    When I can get to a yard I will get some spare tubes and chop and braise them to original ones.
    Very odd.

4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I don't know why you should need spacers at all though...

5. dodgy

The guide tubes when inside the car, if they only just poke through the rubber fertile are about right for my cables, but if they are pushed right up to the bracket behind the handbrake as it was when took apart they are too long on the inners, hence needing to space back out the car.
    As I've not seen where the tubes are supposed to be there could be the possibility they had moved from original position but would seem floppy just supported by the rubber ferrule.

6. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

I put mk4 calipers on my 1992 mk2 16v many years ago never had to replace the cables as per Tristan, are the polo calipers exactly the same ?

dodgy likes this.
  7. dodgy

Calipers identical to the set of leon cupra r ones except mouth width, all handbrake mech is same.
    Perhaps it's the fact my guide tubes were pushed all the way in to the bracket? Didn't touch them or move them except remove old cables last week.

8. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Following, subject of the month, LOL
    Jon

dodgy likes this.
  9. dodgy

Just robbed a pic off google, and it shows the tubes in the bracket behind the handbrake if you look carefully, which is how mine were, but it left about 5" of slack, now I've put a metal tube between bracket and where the guides enter via the ferrule and it's about right.
    Maybe the cables are wrong, but both sets early and late were similarly overlong, and cross reference the numbers fine.

Attached Files:

10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

sounds like you ended up with pre-88 cables if the new ones arent even the same as the originals

11. dodgy

Bought both sets in the end, and both were really long inners poking out of the sheath, the earlier ones fitted into the original position as they were longer, but now I've pulled the guide tubes out the replacement later ones fit well under the car compared to how they were cutting across before.
    Really odd situation, even looked on the earlier green car today, handbrake is different, but the tubes butt up to bracket inside the car.
    Perhaps the inner length is incorrect on these.

12. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

are you sure your guide tubes were properly fitted, as its easy to pull them off the car completly when removing old cables as they can sieze inside

13. dodgy

To be honest I didn't look in under the carpet before removing the original cables, but the tubes were solidly fixed underneath but the cables came out with a little wiggle easily, didn't move the tubes until came to fit second set and then pulled them backwards outwards so the inner cables weren't too long.