Harlequin and BUB 3.2 content- new here

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by mk3f.t.w., Jun 12, 2018.

1. mk3f.t.w. New Member

Hello All!

I am new here, but the members have already been very helpful including _Monkey and rubjonny

My gti is my car I'm currently putting closer to stock, in order to try and keep some parts for my new harlequin project. The harlequin I picked up 8 months ago. Its going to be a slow build since I am a new father, and I live in San Francisco with no garage or parking spot. But either way, I hope to slowly make progress on the car. The key elements are in place. Harlequin acquired, and BUB 3.2 from a 08 TT.

My GTI i have had for a bit. Sadly going to part with er. And my old passat. 2010 style.
    [​IMG]CRW_5180 by kevin kleine, on Flickr
    [​IMG]CRW_5050 by kevin kleine, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]IMG_5996 by kevin kleine, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Untitled by kevin kleine, on Flickr
    Then I got distracted by this thing for a bit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  2. mk3f.t.w. New Member

The BMW is now gone, which bring me to the harlequin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The PO had the hatch covered in duct tape, and it was rusty. I was able to fix that up this past week.
    [​IMG]IMG_5996 by kevin kleine, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_5995 by kevin kleine, on Flickr

Also, the two rear door rub strips are re-installed. The PO had the super glued and spray foamed on so it was a battle to clean it all off. I need to go in and re-epoxy one more stud that broke off during install, and I have a new badge and wiper hole plug on the way ;)

[​IMG]IMG_6085 by kevin kleine, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_6088 by kevin kleine, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_6090 by kevin kleine, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_6089 by kevin kleine, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_6091 by kevin kleine, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_6095 by kevin kleine, on Flickr

So that bring me up to date over the past 10 years-ish.

-Kevin

Toyotec likes this.
  3. mk3f.t.w. New Member

How I got the Harlequin:
    I had the 3.2 set aside for my GTI. I have been a PVW reader for about 10 years now. I was at work and flipping through a PVW and talking to a coworker. It happened to be the issue with the ABT harlequin with a BUB 3.2 like the motor I have. I said "man I would really love to find one of those and put my motor in it". My coworker said well I know where one is. I said "How come you have never told me!" He used to drive by it for 8 years and it never moved. When he told me that I thought it would be abandoned. I said well lets set aside a Saturday and go take a look. I went with my pre-written note and camera. I honestly thought all that would come of it is a road trip and lunch with a friend, and I'd see a harlequin. I left the note on the car and figured I would knock. The car was street parked so I guessed which house it would be. I spoke to a nice man and he said the owner was out of town, but just leave the note on the car. A week later I got a call back and the PO. I was ecstatic and couldnt believe he called. I was waving like crazy to my wife whie on the phone. The PO (Randall) said he would sell. I told her honey, I need to jump on this quick and she understood how important it was to me. Randall was very nice and let me come up and test drive it and said I could buy it whenever I had the money- no rush. He just wanted a good home and to know I wont flip it. I scrambled to sell everything I owned to come up with cash. Luckily a good friend of mine fronted me the cash so I could jump on the opportunity. I sold random parts and my bmw and paid him back. What a friend! Come to find out somebody in chicago had almost purchased the car previously, but the onwer got nostalgic and backed out. Also a lot of other local VW guys had been stalking it which I didnt know. Honestly it was all timing and face to face contact saying I would buy it. After I bought it I was ecstatic just smiling driving it around and couldnt believe I actually found one and own it. I already plan on giving it to my son some day so it wont be for sale, sorry guys [​IMG]

4. mk3f.t.w. New Member

The timing belt was terrifying on this car. I do have the 3.2, but that will be a slow process for me. Baby on the way. I am surprised the belt made it this long. The tensioner was almost completely seized and howling/crunching.

[​IMG]

All 3 cars parked by each other. My gti and the wifes mazda 3. In SF thats a rare thing when it comes to street parking.

[​IMG]

In San Francisco having a parking spot or a garage is not the norm. Most of my work is done in the street. I'm very grateful for my frined Pete who has his tools at home now and a garage he lets me use sometimes.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. mk3f.t.w. New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. mk3f.t.w. New Member

Next on the list is the brakes. They are terrifying and very mushy, bad pads, lots of travel, and drums. They are very high on my list to fix up, and to fix the moaning wheel bearing. Im lucky my friend at work is a machinist who can help me make my dual drilled setup. ABA hubs so I wount have to convert all the parts, and g60 280mm rotors that have the right top hat height.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. mk3f.t.w. New Member

Snagged a disc rear spindle, mk4 caliper and mk3 carrier. I can run this disc for now if I want but i might just go straight to 5 lug 280mm kit.

[​IMG]

8. mk3f.t.w. New Member

Pumped for these lil nic nacs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. mk3f.t.w. New Member

10. mk3f.t.w. New Member

11. mk3f.t.w. New Member

I finally had a minute to swap out my alarm module and tried to program my remote. Unfortunately, I think the control module is finicky and i need another. Sometimes it would program sometime not. Sometimes unlock the car sometimes not. I never got it to lock the car.

I thought it might have been a faulty latch, but all my latches turn the dome light on and off correctly and don't freak out like a bad microswitch in the latch. Also when feeling the control module sometimes it would click and read the key fob and send the signal to the vacuum pump othertimes not. And I tested the key fob with my 98 gti and it works consistent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. mk3f.t.w. New Member

[​IMG]
    Got these from vrclowncar

Here is his car with em[​IMG]

[​IMG] also got some early euro bubble buttons
    [​IMG]

I finished the AC switch It took a lot of tinkering but figured it out. Stuf like this is good for dad duty while my son sleeps. Im stoked. Early euro bubble buttons with later mk3.5 cabrio style lighting.

[​IMG]

Removed the bulbs. One was burned out.

[​IMG]

Had to desolder some connections to remove the board. Then soldered in the new LED.

[​IMG]

The light transfer piece inside the button was tinted green and was kind of dull.

[​IMG]

I ordered some 1.5 mm fiber optic cable that had a good side glow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Illuminated. Compare to the normal defrost switch.

[​IMG]

And norm and max buttons depressed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I have to figure out the defrost switch. It might not look like it, but the outer amber ring has a green tint on the backside which I have to remove somehow in order to get it to glow blue like the others.

13. mk3f.t.w. New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also pumped on picking up these oem style decals. They were made by a member on here. Thanks for makin em!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  14. mk3f.t.w. New Member

picked up bc type br with only 5k miles
    [​IMG]

hoping to do this
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is funny
    [​IMG]

and still pumped on my now OG shirt that goes well with the harli
    [​IMG]

cruisin
    [video=vimeo;273628678]

Toyotec likes this.
  15. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I've only ever seen 1 Harlequin in the flesh but I think that was a Polo?, great thread and pictures!.

16. mk3f.t.w. New Member

Thanks! The golf harlequin and polo harlequin are a bit different in rarity. The golf was US only and only 264 made. The polo had 3,800 of this series produced for europe ;)

KeithMac likes this.