Hazard warning lights

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by paulm2322, Jul 17, 2022.

1. paulm2322

paulm2322 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi folks,

I had to change a drivers side front indicator bulb and it now works ok. I discovered a problem as I was locking my car though. When I lock via remote central locking on the key fob, the entire right side of the car will not light up (indicator lights). I have checked fuses and they’re all ok. The indicators all work when the ignition is on so I’m a bit stumped.

Any help much appreciated.

thanks

Paul

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  2. paulm2322

Hazard relay is working fine. Removed it and hazards stopped working.

3. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Paul,

As I understand about remote systems such as locking modules and alarms connecting to the indicators, the 'normal' flasher relay has nothing to do with the additional unit, which simply links to the Left and Right side supply wires. Somewhere the cars' own wiring for the indicator wires will have wires from the remote c/locking unit joining them. When the unit locks or unlocks the car, it controls the two circuits for itself, rather than switching the relay.

paulm2322 likes this.
  4. paulm2322

Thanks Dougie, hopefully it’s not a pain for me to find the wires causing it.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
  5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah if indicators and hazards work, its the wire splice from alarm into the indicator wire that side which has come loose or the alarm module itself is damaged internally

paulm2322 likes this.
  6. paulm2322

Thanks Jonny, I’ll have another look

7. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Could the bulb failing have damaged the control unit? I recall what I always thought was an urban myth about alarms; getting hold of the side repeaters and shorting out the terminals blew up the output side of the alarm, avoiding attention when actually forcing entry to the vehicle.

8. rubjonny

wouldnt have thought so, but what it might do is pop the fuse for that circuit which would achieve the same thing

9. paulm2322

I've managed to get in touch with the man that fitted the alarm in 2019. It's a Cobra A4698 2-1 modular alarm. He said its either a loose connection or the alarm pcb board has got a dry joint. He has only texted me and he's gone quiet now. I've no idea where the pcb board is. I had changed a few fuses before the fault occurred so wondering if its somewhere new fuseboard inside car.

10. paulm2322

Just read my first post again. I wonder if the wire leading to that front bulb is the culprit if I've managed to damaged the splice for alarm side of it.

11. rubjonny

yes so if the indicators and hazards work fine, the factory wiring is all ok. so all it can be is either the wire from the alarm module for that side, or an internal fault with the module.

usually alarms are tapped into the ignition harness so thats where I would start, black/green is right indicator wire

paulm2322 likes this.
  12. paulm2322

Brilliant. Thanks Jonny.