Head lights on warning buzzer (relay 292)

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Dellboy, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Dellboy Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

I have a 1985 Mk2 golf GTI with a CE1 fuse box. I have plugged relay 292 into relay position 7. What I was expecting was the buzzer to sound when the head lights are on and the ignition is off. The problem is it will only work when the courtesy light in the glove box is switched on. Anyone know why this would happen?
    Thanks

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

slot 7 has x-live feed from relay 17/18, earth, number plate lights and connection to the spare grey/yellow spade hanging out of B/20 (fog light switch power from relay). its not really suitable for a lights on relay.

what I think is happening, when you switch on the glovebox light its earthing the x-relay live circuit thru the bulb causing the lights on relay to activate

to get lights on you'll either need to add a bit of wiring for the seatbelt/lights warning socket 3, and find a suitable relay with the correct layout. or mount the relay above the fusebox instead

3. Dellboy Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks Rubjonny, the earthing through the bulb makes sense, however the 292 works as I would expect - with the headlights lights on when you turn the ignition off it sounds, turn the ignition on again and it stops apart from to make it work "properly" the glovebox courtesy light needs to be switched on, or the fan blower switch on or the wiper stalk set to intermittent! is X live permanent live or ignition live?

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the x-live circuit powers the blower motor, wiper relay, headlights plus various other electrics with ignition, but goes dead while cranking.

there is probably a simple fix for this, change the bulb in the headlight switch :) if working this will do the same job as leaving the glovebox light on, and give your relay a path to ground thru the x circuit. Since this light is always on with ignition its usually blown. I'm not sure if an LED would be enough, might have to use a proper 12v bulb but see how you go with it