Hella Quads problem

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by paulm2322, Dec 30, 2022.

1. paulm2322

paulm2322 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi folks,

Happy holidays.

I have an issue with my drivers side quad headlight.

The main beam does not work. I have had the original Hella headlamps on for a few months and every setting works on them so I know the cars loom is ok. All fuses are ok on the car. When I select main beam, the drivers side won't work and also, it turns off the drivers side light when I flash or select main beam. I have had a look at wiring on headlamp and cant see any broken wires etc. I sprayed a bit of WD40 into headlamp plug but that has not helped.

It must be a problem with the headlamp itself but I'm at a loss where to look next to try and fix it.

Any help much appreciated.

Paul

2. H8V

h8v Forum Member

"Turning off the side light" when you select main beam sounds like it could be a dodgy earth issue.

I'd try connecting a +ve wire directly from the battery to the main beam bulb or its wiring at the headlight and see if the bulb lights.

I'd also have a good look at the earth wiring (usually brown), perhaps run a new earth directly from the main beam bulb or wire close to it to a suitable earth point.

Do you have a wiring diagram for the headlight unit?

paulm2322 likes this.
  3. paulm2322

Thanks h8v,

no I don’t have wiring diagram. Do you mean earth wiring on the headlamp itself or the car loom?

4. H8V

h8v Forum Member

I believe the headlight unit has a multi pin plug to connect it to the vehicle loom. The brown wire(s) in that connector should be earthed to the vehicle chassis. Check they are well connected to the vehicle earth. Connecting a new wire directly from the main beam bulb negative to the vehicle chassis may solve your problem.

A basic multimeter is not necessary, but might be of assistance with this and future electrical issues.....https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-ac-dc-digital-multimeter-600v/75337

paulm2322 likes this.
  5. paulm2322

Hi, so just got around to trying to fix this again. It is 100% a headlight fault. The passenger side quad was plugged in and worked perfectly. Switched drivers side to passenger side and no main beam light again. I ran a wire from + of battery direct to mainbeam bulb and nothing. Looks like I’m going to have to strip the quad wiring and see if there is a broken/loose wire somewhere on its own loom.

I recently fitted new headlight adjusters as the old ones had broken( lamp was loose in housing) , assume this would not affect the working of the headlight electrics?

6. paulm2322

The culprit! Broken earth wire on spare connector!

thanks to H8v for pointing me in the right direction. I’ve soldered it now and all works perfectly again!

Next job is take lense covers off with heat gun and clean inside of glass. If anyone has done this, any tips would be much appreciated.

cheers,

Paul 96A30DD3-A44A-4924-91A9-8DB6DD524337.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
    h8v likes this.
  7. H8V

h8v Forum Member

Glad it's all working properly now. Soldering old corroded wires can sometimes be a bit difficult unless the copper is cut back and given a good clean.

paulm2322 likes this.
  8. paulm2322

Many thanks mate. Really appreciate the advice.

h8v likes this.