HELP! m.o.t station killed my digi

Discussion in 'Engines' started by mk28vICED, Sep 19, 2007.

1. mk28vICED Forum Member

[8(] Hi all,

i must have the worst luck of any dubber on here.[xx(]

blown ecu's, siezed gearbox, conrods smashed. all in last 10 months

now the M.O.T station has blown the electrics on my mk2.
    went to pick it up, your car passed sir, etc. [:D]
    went to car, wouldnt turn starter over, [xx(] thought dead battery as MFA went off...
    got a booster pack off the garage and it still wouldnt start. [:x]

the gearbox earth was loose, and had a cut off wire wrapped in the ring terminal on the gearbox end....i believe the tester connected a 12v lamp or something to it and didnt tighten the earth strap back up.
    at first i was sure the ecu had blown...again... as i think i heard the fuel pump continually run...however...now it doesnt prime at all???? and the MFA has been completly dead at times. or goes dim when i turn the ignition on even though there is plently of power (jump leads connected to my 4x4) tried spare battery and ecu but think that ecu was dead before...i was seeing if the TCHI switch on top was dead..

i also found some sandpaper in the engine bay behind the battery, i believe he tried to clean the earths up but to no avail.

HELP. is this ecu or what?
    checked all fuses but all were fine.
    the station refused to accept liability! "drove it out here fine" etc.

anyone within 50 miles of Northampton got a spare ecu? that works! ive got a 20 note with your name on it here if so.
    fuel pump relay?

odd symptoms include the tacho needle jumping about when i first hopped in the car, and a buzzing behind the dash. can anyone help??

2. Supercharged Forum Member

Sounds like a quality garage!!!

Blown ECU for sure - why are you bothering with it - tell them to sort it or you'll contact VOSA!

3. mookie Forum Member

**** me, and I thought my recent MOT was a farce!

I'd be on their case if I were you mate.

4. ihaveajetta Forum Member

thats sucks, i wish i had a spare ECU for you

5. Setone Forum Member

down to them to fix it, hope you didn't pay for your mot?

Prob the ecu, i've got one here if you need it mate pm if interested,

6. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

The buzzing can be a dead battery - even if you have jumpleads on. Most jumpleads don't give enough juice to start the car, and you'll get relays buzzing. Does the fuel pump run all the time if you connect it to the jump leads, don't actually try and start it, but just turn the ignition on?

7. Seraph Banned

When I read the title, I was actually expecting a story along the lines of 'Freddy Star ate my hamster'.

8. mk28vICED Forum Member

cheers for the replies. i dont mind if the garage pays for it to be fixed but dont want them to have the car again. you can see why. had 3 cars done by them in the last 10months and this is the first and last fook up.

the odd thing is, i cant get the fuel pump to prime at all.
    could the fuel pump relay be fooked aswell?

the lump leads are proper. at least real 4awg. started tractors with them etc. although they are quite long-5m!

paid for the damn M.O.T before i went out to the car and it didn't start. they gave me 10% off, i can see why now....

both the batteries ive put on the golf are quite flat. although one is a super battery- optima yellow top, which i thought would hold charge easily, ill prob put it on one of my other cars and let the alt charge it for an hour or so.

will change the battery terminals too as the -ve didnt grip the optima properly.

opened the ecu up and cant see anything melted, unlike the last one i opened, which had a burnt track. put a 'superchip' in it i had laying around to see if thats what blew. also opened another ecu i had off i.a.n.b which never seemed to work iirc. that one had a loose chip and cracked capacitor casing, but ill try it againg tomorrow just to be sure.

Will try various TCHI switches or whatever they're called too. apart from that im searching for a new ecu.

9. jon mk2 facelift Forum Member

what you want to do is get the garage that messed up to foot the bill for somewhere else to do the work threaten the basterds with trading standard or some shiit like that

10. GarethMK2VR6

GarethMK2VR6 Forum Member

Your not the only one mate since i started the 2.0l conversion and M.O.T work ive had
    broken dizzy, three starters, blown ecu, stripped head thread, broken strut, melted loom, craked the number plate, snapped bleed nipples, split flexable brake hose and now the car wont even move and is sat on the road with tax. Its like everytime i touch it something else goes wrong.

Hope you get it sorted though.

11. mk28vICED Forum Member

yeah its *******s aint it.
    i was so close to having it back on the road again.
    now someone else has ****ed it for me.
    away on work so much in the next two weeks abroad i dont think its going to be fixed very quickly. more Tax wasted.

12. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

Gutted!!!

I would keep putting ecu's on it unless you are ure that they arent going to blow.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  13. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

I have a few bits lying around.. PM if you need

14. mk28vICED Forum Member

found more small wire cut off the mot station had connected to the rocker cover?? what the **** were they doing! took pictures and going to threaten them with VOSA unless i get a refund.

well im going to collect another ecu tonight....
    big problem now though.... im my haste i have done something v stupid.
    snapped the earth stud off the gearbox bracket!!![xx(] :clap:
    cant really get a ring terminal under it now as there is only 3 mm left![:^(]
    so ive put a new earth cable between the rocker cover and strut brace which bolts into the strut tower. and then a second cable from the same strut brace bolt to the -ve battery terminal. there is also a battery tray to -ve terminal 4awg wire. so ive earthed the engine to chassis. and chassis to -ve twice, but is this good enough??
    do i need a new gearbox to -ve terminal somehow? if i had a welder i would weld a terminal onto it!

installed a new +ve terminal that has a blue digital voltage meter on it which is cool and helps me keep an eye on things.

UPDATE just gone back out and swapped TCHI switches over, the fuel pump now runs continually. so must be blown ECU, question is, do i have to change the oil filter or does fuel just leak into the sump?? thanks, Seb.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  15. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

Muppets!!!

on oil change it depends if you have turned the engine over which will have drawn up contaminated oil. personally id go and see peter or warren at GSF and get a new filter.

16. Supercharged Forum Member

Yeah, risk of bore wash, change the oil anyway!

17. Cabby Dave Forum Member

My friendly MOT tester just lost his testing licence. Damn.

18. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

I'd agree, unlucky mate. PM TANK-8V, hes breaking a golf I'm having some bits from, hes in Daventry, might have an ecu!

19. mk28vICED Forum Member

ok, just went to the M.O.T station.
    they wouldn't even refund the m.o.t cost![8(]
    even took photographic evidence along... see below
    comments included "it drove out there fine" and "we just do m.o.t's here mate"
    why all there ****ing little wires everywhere then![xx(]

got new oil and filter, thats the 4th bottle of oil and 4th filter in the last 200 miles of driving! they know me in GSF as the 'part number guy' as i always have the part numbers of everything i need so they dont have to look it up or get the wrong part.:lol:

wire under rocker cover and dust from someone sanding in the bay or nearby
    [​IMG]

sandpaper behind battery
    [​IMG]

undid the nut which was not tight enough and found this wire, which i did not put there![:x]
    [​IMG]

what do you think!

been on VOSA's website.........this is an extract

What action can I take against the garage?

VOSA cannot request compensation on your behalf - you can however take action in conjunction with your local trading standards department, take out proceedings personally or refer the matter to the police.
    Any subsequent action VOSA decide to take against the garage that tested your vehicle is done at their discretion, and should have no bearing on any action you may decide to take.

which one then? Police? trading standard or my solicitor? my gf is a trainee at the solicitors so i think they would help out cheapish...

20. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

you can write a letter to your local vosa and they should visit.
    as i had a mk3 "nicked" from my mot garage...
    failed mot and bloke thought he had right to drive it around!!
    when it did come back he asked to buy it....