Help mith Mocal sandwich plate part

Discussion in '8-valve' started by fthaimike, Aug 10, 2008.

1. vrbanana Forum Junkie

[​IMG]

Are the threads in question the shiny ones on the left hand side of the bolt?

2. ev nutter Forum Member

How could you tell

3. vrbanana Forum Junkie

[:s] [:s] tell what?

4. fthaimike Forum Addict

yes mate, the last few threads

5. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Those are manufacturing marks, if the housing or threads in the housing were damaged, it would have damaged the first threads to enter the casting as well.
    The top of the threads have been touched whilst the item was machined, the thread won’t be 100% straight and that’s why there is a tell tail mark on the casting where the shoulder of the bolt touches the ally casting.

Have you had any problems with it? of have you just noticed the marks once it’s been apart?

6. vrbanana Forum Junkie

I needed a new bolt for mine as I had a kit from a VR6 but then used it on the 20v, I rang Mocal and they posted one out, told them what I wanted it for, no problems. I have a new bolt at work if you want me to check for the same type or similar marks

7. fthaimike Forum Addict

Would be nice to know mate cheers.

only just noticed it & it's the 1st time it has been off since fitted (never leaked).

Those flat spots are on the VW threaded union side mind, not the Mocal adaptor side if that makes sense....

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  8. vrbanana Forum Junkie

The bolt is a Mocal item, comes with the plate as part of a kit. The thread wouldn’t be damaged like that from an ally casting, the ally would look worse, does the bolt screw in easy enough?

9. fthaimike Forum Addict

Ah man!!!!! i just had another look & i have been a dumb @ss [:$] , i thought it was damaged because if i just threaded it into the housing without the sandwich plate (which was easy) it would suddenly stop just as it got to those flat bits but then realized that was in to far anyway.....so instead i slotted the bolt up through the sandwich plate to see how it sticks out to grab the housing & those flat bits of the thread don't come anywhere near the height of the plate :) they are still down inside it.

[​IMG]

I think they were made when it was screwed into the Mocal bolt & i have triple checked the housing & i cannot see any damage to the thread, the pic i put up makes it look damaged as the flashlight i had on it is reflecting off of the shiny metal edges of the thread.

10. vrbanana Forum Junkie

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You donkey ;)

11. fthaimike Forum Addict

EEooorrrr

All i need now is to find one of those rubber gaskets to put between the plate & the housing pictured above, any idea's? It's about 63mm in the middle & about 73mm at it's widest.

12. vrbanana Forum Junkie

It’s a Mocal item, give them a ring and order one

13. fthaimike Forum Addict

14. vrbanana Forum Junkie

15. fthaimike Forum Addict

Ah i was looking at that, wasn't sure if it was them but will give it a go cheers.

I noticed inside my sandwich plate there is a spring mechanism just visable, would this be some kind of thermostat?

16. fthaimike Forum Addict

:o , fair play i just spoke to the chap there & explained everything to him & he is sending me a gasket free [:D] . Top man :thumbup: (will bookmark that site me thinks).