Help!! - Mk2 digifant GTi won't turn over! :-(

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Admin, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Admin Guest

Hi,

Can anybody help me with this please? (pretty please??) I put the key into the ignition, turn it one click, and the fuel pump primes for only about half a second (shorter than usual I think). Then when I turn the key further to start the engine there is a clicking noise (sometimes lots of clicks if I hold the key in the start position) and the starter doesn't turn at all. Nothing. The following info might help:

-1989 (small bumper) digifant Golf GTi (with AGG bottom end and appropriate dizzy). Never had a problem in 4 years....
    -Battery is fully charged (cleaned up terminals too)
    -Engine turns over OK by hand - no unexpected resistance.
    -Lights work etc.
    -Fuel pump relay is OK
    -Dizzy is 2 years old and was bought new from VW
    -Coil is 2 years old and was bought new from GSF
    -Current at TCI-H switch unit is as expected in Haynes when the key is turned
    -Couldn't get a current across the coil LT connections but will admit that I have no clue about electrical things
    -All earths look OK - I removed and cleaned the main engine earth connector to the gearbox and also cleaned the connectors and terminals on the starter.

I'm in the process of replacing the ignition switch to see if that cures the problem but have a spare ECU, TCI-H unit and starter in case it doesn't. After that I will have to call a professional as I will be out of ideas (and I'm flat broke so don't want to do that) :-(

[:^(]

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

dont worry about power to anywhere on the engine except the starter, the starter system is simplicity itself. you mention you cleaned the terminals, did you also clean the starter & alternator ends of these cables, and more importantly the connection to the earth stud behind the battery and the battery earth connection on the gearbox itself?
    If all that checks out, run a chunky wire between the red/black wire spade terminal on the starter and the battery +ve (take it out of gear!!) If the car cranks over fine the ign switch or wiring from it to starter is at fault. if it does the same thing the battery is dead, you have a poor battery cable connection, you have a problem with the starter, or the brass starter locating bush in the gearbox is knackered.

a good tip is to convert to the later battery earth setup as fitted to 90spec MK2s and MK3s, the battery earth runs to a stud on the rearmost engine -> gearbox mounting bolt rather than the gearbox mountign bracket. this results in a much better engine earth. Also better battery cables wouldnt go amiss, I have a MK3 +ve and a later Passat -ve (MK3 -ve doesnt quite reach the battery tray stud, though an extension could be made if you're stuck)

another thing that can be done is you could run a chunky earth from the battery direct to one of the starter mounting bolts, that'll rule out any earth issues.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  3. Admin Guest

Thanks very much for the response! I'll have a go at the starter motor this evening as soon as I've got hold of some wire from Halfrauds and will hopefully post an update tomorrow...

4. ktuludays

ktuludays Forum Member

sounds like the starter to me

try what rubjonny said

if you have to remove the starter cos it is biffed make sure you take the weight of the engine off the long bolt that goes through the starter and engine.

if the nuts are really tight and you can't get them undone - don't push your breaker bar with your feet - last time i did i got a quadruple hernia!!

5. Admin Guest

OK, thanks guys!

I tested the starter and I can hear the solenoid clicking but nothing else. I have a spare starter that worked OK before so I shall swap them over at the weekend.

I'll post an upate then :-)

Adam

6. Admin Guest

Right.....so....I tested the starter as you described and it clicked but didn't turn the engine. So I swapped the starter for one that worked the last time it was in a car and......it does exactly the same thing. I don't understand. The lights etc. all work suggesting that the battery is fine but the starter won't turn at all. Any suggestions please?

7. Admin Guest

Right, I tested the starter and it didn't work, so I swapped it for a working one. But still no joy...
    The battery tested OK, so should I be looking at the ignition circuit (the switch?)?

Thanks

Adam

8. Admin Guest

Fixed it!

I swapped the starter but still no joy, so.....I tested the battery (again) and it seemed fine (12.4V). In the end I even strapped the battery to my bicycle and took it to Halfrauds and they suggested that it was OK but needed charging. So I took it home again, topped up all of the cells (the battery is a big Ca one but is 4 years old) and charged it up. Once it was charged I measured the voltage as ~12.4V which (still) looked OK. But then after I had put it back in the car (and had lunch) the engine still wouldn't crank. I measured the voltage again and it had dropped to 11.4V! After much arsing around it transpired that the battery wouldn't hold a full charge for more than about 15 mintues (just long enough for me to measure it in the car as being fine) and I stood there with my multi-meter attached and watched the voltage fall, steadily, from 12.4 to 11.4V, where it stayed. As it was just outside the 4 year warranty (no problems for all that time - Halfrauds battery 075) I had to cough up for a Bosch Silver (5 year warranty) and my GTi started first time.

:-)

9. Darren Smith Forum Member

similar problem fully charged battery an new starter been fine all week tried to start after not long switchin off today an mfa went to zero an would bearly turn over but battery stil had loads of life in it swopped battery with another it started went to garage fuel in it started stopped at a shop on way bak an itvwouldnt start had to bump it. any ideas

10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if mfa goes dead your battery hasnt got enough charge to turn starter and maintain cluster memory/clock at the same time. this can be down to dead battery, bad starter or issue with the cabling

does the battery light come on with ignition and go out when started, and whats the battery voltage ignition off, ignition on and while running

11. Darren Smith Forum Member