Help needed Golf GTI struggles to start up in hot weather

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by Emma Davis, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Emma Davis New Member

Hi,

Don’t know if anyone has any previous dealing with their Golf GTI MK5 not starting up in hot weather? Taken to multiple garages and spoke to mechanics and none have any idea what the issue could be.

My car starts fine in winter and cooler months but struggles to start when we are having a little nice weather. Luckily this is the UK so we don’t usually get really hot weather but I need to sort the issue out.

Thanks for reading :)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  2. Sir_Swish

Sir_Swish Paid Member Paid Member

This may get moved to technical section just a heads up

I have heard of crank sensors breaking down on the fsi and tfsi when the engines are hot

3. Emma Davis New Member

Hi there, I’m totally new to this site. Do I need to post it somewhere else? Will mention crank sensors when the garage reopens though thank you

4. Sir_Swish

Sir_Swish Paid Member Paid Member

Lots of helpful folk live here, Someone may come up with a more specific answer. Welcome to the forum

Emma Davis likes this.
  5. Emma Davis New Member

Thank you. Fingers crossed Love my car but don’t love the embarrassment of the struggle in the sunshine

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

By not starting do you mean it doesn't crank over, or just takes a long time to start?

7. Emma Davis New Member

Hi there, it takes a long time to start. Only in the hot wether though ‍♀️

8. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I guess it's needing someone handy with diagnostics to check fuel pump pressures and operation with live data to see if it's a fuelling problem, same goes for the above suggestion of a crank sensor failure.

It's one of those faults that needs diagnosing when it's playing up, not easy!

Emma Davis likes this.
  9. Emma Davis New Member

I’ll take it back to the diagnostic guy I took it to before. He just changed the battery as apparently it was giving off no reading like it was dead. Obviously it wasn’t that though as it’s continued. Thank you