Help to Axel length golf mk1 VR6??

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Hummel, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Hummel New Member

Hello Guys.

I Need help! I'm about to order a full conversion kit from Eurowise to my mk1 golf to convert it to a VR6 engine. My guestion is:

Does any of you have theirs kit already ? If so a need an adwise, because my thoughts is on if I can use my original VR6 driveshafts or if I need the ones they sell at Eurowise?

Since their kits is complete it would be easy to get the complete kit and bolt on, it ios a bit expensive dough. AND plan to mount the complete brake setup from the VR6, and the outer spline is bigger, so I wont be able to just put Eurowise shafts direct in :(

In my head I have to Option and I seek help to decided whitch one is possible?

Use original VR6 driveshafts sine the CV joints fit both outer and inner, BUT maybe they wont fit in length ?

Buy Eurowise driveshaft and shift the outer CV joint to VR6, more expensive and I dont know if the Joint will fit onto the eurowise shaft.?

Third option could be to fit VR6 brakes onto Mk1 hub, put that seems like an issue already :(

What do you guys think ? Any thoughts on the matter are welcome!

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

You're probably better off asking eurowise these questions direct I recon. But I think the reason they do the shafts is because they are custom lengths?

Does it say what CV joints the shafts need? if mk1/2/3 100mm then you can fit vr6 joints to the eurowise shafts no problem. but fitting the vr6 brakes to the mk1 is tricky, since the 5 stud bearing carrier has the ball joint offset vs 4 stud so this throws out the castor, plsu the wheels will not be centred in the arch. then there are the issues with the track rods needing spacing to correct bump steer. after all that you may find your chosen wheels dont fit as there is less room between the wheel and calipers on ther 5 stud setups the discs are quite low offset. much easier to just get brackets to allow you to bolt 280mm brakes on the mk1 bearing carriers, they are widely available. or if you really want 5 stud could have your hubs welded up and redrilled?

3. Hummel New Member

About the brake conversion I follow you in you arguments, If I decide to use mk1 bearing carriers, where do I get bracket to allow VR6 calibers ? And is it possible to get 280mm 4 stud discs ?

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

quite a few companies make them, heres one:
    http://www.retrofication.co.uk/216brakeadapter.html

they work with pre-96 mk3 16v/gti/vr6 280mm calipers and carriers, which are the same fit as G60, corrado, passat etc 4x100 280mm calipers and carriers. All you need is mk2 G60 280mm discs, or whatever model is easier to find where you live the same disc is used on all kinds of VW and SEAT :)