Hi I’m new to this . need HElP finding ground point in boot of mk6 gti for amp. Pic would be great

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by GTI 35 - Derek, Nov 11, 2018.

1. GTI 35 - Derek New Member

I tried drilling into boot on rhs with crimped ring. I used a self drilling screw to secure this is and I have removed all paint around it. Used my multimeter to test ground had to use a bit of wire to extend one of my test Leads lol . One end on battery negative and other probe at the ground point I made. Set to resistance I do get a jump of resistance of about 11 ohms but it settles instantly at 0 ohms.

I just need a second place to prove my ground so I know my heads not going I think my new amp is broke

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

0 ohms is correct , though usually you'll get maybe a couple of ohms.. All points of the metal superstructure of the car are "ground".

3. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

I'd expect the wiring for the rear lights (and maybe the tailgate) to have an earth point somewhere nearby, more likely on the left side, behind the trim panel

4. GTI 35 - Derek New Member

Thanks guys. Sorry for the late reply.
    Turns out my sub/amp was faulty so got a replacement and have it fitted already.
    I’ve crimped a spade onto the ground wire and used a small self drilling screw to sure this into the rhs of the boot under the spare wheel cover.

I’ve been thinking is there anything I can do to prevent rust from drilling the screw ? I also found I will need to buy securing straps, the thing flipped right over when put the foot down .