HID's in B5.5 cluster

Discussion in 'Passat' started by golfpaul, Dec 17, 2012.

1. golfpaul Forum Member

Picked up a h7 kit for cheap and have installed it recently.

The light output is grim with a poor beam pattern, what have i done wrong?

It has a very weak cutoff and a lot of scatter.

I understand the b5.5 projector cluster is designed for halogens but ive heard others getting good results from theirs with hids.

I installed the bulbs with the bar at the top, i now believe this to be incorrect so will be altering to the side or bottom.

Whos had a good result with this setup?

Cheers.

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

Projectors are normally good. Got a pic you can post up? If the beam is terrible I'd imagine it would be pretty embarrassing to drive about like that

3. G-Man Forum Junkie

4. golfpaul Forum Member

Yeah ive h7 bulbs in which are the right ones for the projector.
    Ive had a mess and they now seem much better, the retarded clips that vw use are awful and there is a lot of room for error when installing the bulbs.

The light output is better though, yet no massively visible cutoff.

5. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

didn't you have to cut some metal to get them to fit, had a kit for my b5.5 for 2yrs, never bothered fitting as its meant to be such a hassle.
    headlights are hazed to **** anyway so probably wouldn't make much difference...

6. golfpaul Forum Member

Yeah its a real pain fitting them.

Wez - on another notw, have you tried cleaning your hazy headlights, mine are the same.

Ive read the diy on sanding them down, i feel a bit iffy about sanding plastic though, especially if its meant to be clear...

Cheers

7. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

Tried using an orbital polisher with a cutting compound, since used a meguiars product designed for it. Tbh, it made a bit of an improvement but even after 15 applications they're still pretty bad. No noticeable improved light output. With mine fairly low, my windscreen sits at most other cars headlight height making it worse, I get blinded by everything and light output gets washed out by oncoming cars. Think line also had bad electrics before I got it, possible common problem...