Hola! - My MK3 16v GTi

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Pete Taylor, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Hi, this is my car, I've had it since december last year and it's the first car I've owned. I was looking specifically for a MK3 16v 3 door in red and luckily I found one not too far away. It needed a hell of a lot of work doing to it so at first i decided not to buy it, luckily enough for me the guy asked what i'd pay for it.. I told him.. then he accepted it. 865 including delivery. I can't find a pic of the state of what it was in when I got it but here's what I've done to it so far..

Had CAT1 alarm and immobilisers fitted with proxy sensor
    replaced side skirt
    new rocker gasket
    new cam oil seal
    new cam and power steering belts
    new handbrake cables
    new rear discs and pads
    new rear caliper
    new abs sensor (still not fitted, got ABS issues!)
    new wing mirrors (still in garage not fitted)
    new 5 door rear handles to delock (need to fix boot lock before fitting)
    new pollen filter
    complete oil flush and change
    new oil filter
    complete coolant flush and change
    new crystal fog lights
    crystal side repeaters
    17" Audi RS4 alloy wheels
    New struts, springs and top mounts lowered 60mm front 40mm rear (still in garage not fitted)

Next jobs to be done are a bit of painting (still can't find anyone cheap!) and having the rest of my parts fitted, then its time for new carpets, a leather interior then having the air con fixed. Already looks a tidy motor and i'm pretty chuffed with it and hopefully it will be spankingly nice when i sort the manky rotten interior out! Got some leaks on the car and its been left damp for a fair while, the seats are pretty rank and it doesn't smell too great. Really can't wait to get that sorted, just need to find someone to re-seal my windows.

Here she is at the moment anyway..

[​IMG]

2. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

It looks very tidy in that pic.

Cheap paintwork could end up costing more in the long run.

3. garfayliu Forum Member

Outside looks clean there Pete, you've done a fair bit of work already, make sure you check the cam-belt though when that was last done as they need changing every 40k or 4 years. (I learnt the hard way at 43k)

4. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

Nice colour ;)

5. Mushroom Forum Member

Very tidy motor.

You'll be scraping the tarmac once it get slammed :)

6. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

Wont the alloys be scraping the arches with those alloys? (obviously once lowered!)

7. Pete Taylor Forum Member

I'll soon find out how badly it scrapes and see what needs to be done, no scraping whatsoever at the moment even on full lock without spacers on, the wheels are 205s which are the same as the standard alloys that came off.

I've been doing a lot of work on the paintwork and have come to the conclusion it only needs a few bits doing.

garfayliu the cam belt was done at 88,000 miles, the car has now done 120,000 so i decided to have a new gates cam belt and tensioner fitted at the same time as the other engine bits. Forgot to mention I fitted a new fuel filter and spark plugs too.

Seen a few golfs with a really low splitter on the front, I was after a VR6 one but this one looks ace, anyone know what model SEAT they're off and how easy they are to fit?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  8. MUSH Forum Member

vr6 splitters are aout 30 from gsf, cant go wrong, they make the front end look low n mean!

9. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

Like this ?

[​IMG]

If your lowering the car, chances are you will through quite a lot of them ! [:s]

10. Pete Taylor Forum Member

It just HAS to be lowered, handles like a boat!

11. golfgtd Forum Member

I wouldn't get a GSF one, there slightly too small. I had one on my other mk3 and it didnt fit properly. Theres a company on ebay that sell oem ones, or even better try GPC

12. aimee

aimee Forum Member

Car is looking good mate! i quite like the RS4's on mk3's.

and GPC all the way for a vr splitter! i had mine from them and fits perfectly!

although i need a new one as mine is cracked, and i did that before lowering the car! :lol:

13. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Well I bought the deep lip spoiler off EbAy and it came from germany. Put it on today... My god what a shockingly bad fit!!! No matter which bit i push in first the other side pops out, it's like it's far too big for the bumper... Anyway, It's had that put on plus the suspension kit, lowered 60 at the front and 40 at the back, surprisingly doesn't need much arch work! Tried red caliper paint to see how it looked, just done the offside front at the moment, quite pleased with it so i'll be doing the rest maybe tomorrow. Found someone to do my painting so that'll be done in the next couple of months, bought some plain german plates without the flags on which will hopefully be here from Germany in a week or two. Just got to find myself some mk4 style angel eye headlights then the outside is pretty much finished woohoo!!!

Here's how she was the day after I bought her a few days before christmas..

[​IMG]

And here's how she's looking like at the moment..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  14. cocobay63 Forum Member

Wanna Swap Rims ?????, got a set of TT Rims ? 6 spoke

15. DarrenE Forum Member

Very nice!

16. MUSH Forum Member

nice nice nice nice, shame about the naff splitter. I got a gsf one and fitted it to my pals mk3, fitted perfect and looks mint. youve made a hell of a difference exterior wise, now go on, get that inlet polished and post some pics of the bay.....;)

17. pRot3us Forum Junkie

I bought one of those,utter sh*e quality, spent ages fannying about with it before putting the old one back on. [:x]

Ebay id : goingfast_info

AVOID!!

18. matt-gti Forum Member

they're only about a tenner from VW anyway!

19. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Got plenty of running problems to sort first before I can start tarting it up
    See.. http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123462

Definately going to have the inlet polished inside and out when I can aswel as having the head ported and polished when the bodywork and interior is finished.

Nope! :p

I've got to go to VW this week at some point to get all new door hinges anyway so i'll see if I can get a proper fitting splitter from them. Plan is to have the door hinges fitted and painting at the same as the other bits on the car. Wings will have to come off to change the door hinges so a bit of front arch modifying will be on the cards then :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  20. GTijohn Forum Member

Hey Pete,
    Sweet car. I too have a mk3 3dr gti with 17" rs4's.
    I really wanna lower the car on them by 40mm in the back and 60mm in the front.
    What affect has it had on the ride quality and do the wheels now do much rubbing?