Hola! - My MK3 16v GTi

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Pete Taylor, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

Looking clean, good to see you fixed the grill badge :lol: ;)

2. scottGTI16v New Member

Looking sweet mate.... Red is definately the best colour. Ive got a mk3 gti 16v on a 1998 in red and its a 5 door.

Its going in for whole new suspension setup.... i quite prefer the car before the susepension but before you slate me, now it is lowered do those wheels scrape as you stated it was ok before you lowered it but whats it like now?

Cheers
    Scott

3. Pete Taylor Forum Member

One of these watch this space moments coming up. I bought a new front grill, new passenger door, new door hinges, new front wings and new front and back bumpers. I've just been to drop them off at the body shop to be painted up, as soon as they're finished in a few weeks the rest of the car will be painted too. As it passed the MOT I decided to treat it! Also got a full set of new badges (original ones, going to sell the mk4 one) to finish the job off nicely. Few minor repairs need doing to the car such as ignition switch, boot lock and cam belt cover (one bolt sheared off in the block). That will shortly be followed by a trip to probably stealth racing to have a 4 wheel alignment done now all the powerflex bushes are in and a set of new alloys (the same but new) to top it all off. Then we should be in business!!

4. Pete Taylor Forum Member

New front and rear bumpers are all painted, front grill is all painted. Both new front wings are primered ready for painting as is my new passenger door. Bought lots of new trim parts and clips ready to go on after the paint and spent over 200 quid at VW today on other parts including a new battery cover and brand new front splitter. Also bought some brand new german plates to go on after they got bent removing them for the MOT and a complete set of brand new original VW and 16v badges. Getting quite excited now! Hoping to have it all done soon so I can get it to the shows this year!

5. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Thought i'd update this with my supercharging bits on the side. Well, it's not just supercharging the car, it's rebuilding and spraying the body of the car too to get it back upto scratch. Anyhoo I took a picture of my parts and what's involved in the build so far...

[​IMG]

At the back is a new rad as mine has decided to spring a leak. To the right of that is a new performance slimline fan. I need that because the standard fan has a mahoosive motor on it that will get in the way of my boost pipe routing. In front of them two is a new very shiny intercooler. To the right of that is the corrado G60 throttle body, Eaton M45 supercharger, new inlet manifold gasket and both new throttle body gaskets. In front of the intercooler is the Audi S2 inlet manifold and the S2 injectors. I know the inlet manifold is off a 5 cylinder engine... It's going to The Phirm at some point to be done. He's chopping off the extra inlet, ally welding a mounting plate for the G60 throttle body, mounting a Mk4 1.8 20vT inlet temp sensor (currently sat in Listers VW parts dept I think! I really should ring i.a.n.b!) and also modifying for vac takeoffs etc etc. Then he's mirror finish polishing the inlet and mounting a Mk4 1.8 20vT fuel rail and Vauxhall fuel pressure regulator to feed the big injectors. Coming in the post some day when if greenygti ever machines it> It's an intake plate CNC milled from aluminium billet which sits nicely on the charger and takes the correct size boost pipes. Should look pretty damn cool when I get it back! Missing in the pic is the Mocal 13 row oil cooler which I am waiting for in the post. Still to get is the oil cooler sandwich plate and hoses, metal head gaskets or custom spacer plate, oil catch tank, boost pipes, mahoosive intake filter, charger bracket to be made up, belt and also the management when the funds recover :)

6. Pete Taylor Forum Member

OK, pics so I can share my dispair lol

First off I got this bumper back with the top part blacked up as requested...

[​IMG]

As you can see he did an awesome job! As I said i've got a few more bits to put on it and jobs a goodun.

Problem with the top of the bumper looking so good is that I need the rest of the black trim to match!

So..

[​IMG]

off it all come!

First side is immaculate, no rust at all anywhere apart from the front wing which is being replaced with a freshly painted new one..

[​IMG]

The other side is where the problems came!

[​IMG]

Here's the front wing which is also being replaced for a freshly painted new one..

[​IMG]

Wanna closer lookat the rest???

[​IMG]

The whole nearside of the car must have been in an accident at some point as it's a slightly different colour and all the trim was bodged back on with black silicone. It's also had a new rear quarter put on at some point, this went rusty as sin and I had to have a new rear arch welded on. The rear panel under the brake light also had to be replaced and a new panel welded in. The passenger door is that battered that I've had to get another one. It's currently sat in the garage 90% prepped ready for paint. The sill as you can see aint too clever..

[​IMG]

My mate is going to weld in some new pieces for me next week luckily rather than having to replace the whole sill. The skirts cover it all anyway so as long as it has no rust it's OK. Got lots of prep work to carry on with in the meantime!!

I've driven the car a few times again, forgot how nippy it was!!

7. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Well my continous streak of bad luck is still rearing it's ugly head :(

I got my new fog lights to go on my new front bumper.. took a fog light out of the box to admire it, lovely lovely.... SMASH!!! BOOM!!!! KAPOW!!! FU#k!!!!!!!! as I drop it on the floor!! :angry:

Luckily I managed to steal the lens off my old fog light without breaking it. I then had to take the broken lens off the new lamp without damaging the lamp too. Bit or careful steady hands, some silicone and about half an hour and it was good as new :p

As you can see my new bumper nearly has all parts ready to go on..

[​IMG]

The same day I took all the removed black trim to the bodyshop. When I was there Ricky was working on a spanking new Audi TT, looked amazing. I asked him what was up with it.. "caved in front bumper and 4 alloy wheel repairs" he said :blink:

It looked amazing when it was done though, couldn't even tell!

So I got talking to him and told him he'll need my car to do the rear quarter next, at which point he mentioned he's having trainees in starting next week. We struck a deal and agreed he could have my car for 2 weeks to do the lot as a project for them [:D]

So a result there.. don't even have to finish prepping all the bits in the garage, just take them all to him and leave it! Problem is getting my other mate to weld up the sill before monday. He had the car Yesterday and has started cracking on it about 5pm today. I then got a phone call from him about 6pm tonight... "I've welded up the sill but you should come and see this..." <_<

So I went and had a ganders, my car was up in the air and like he said, there was a new patch welded in on the sill...

[​IMG]

Good job and all that... stand back and have another look though...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see it's all a complete mess!!!

The whole sill has been caved in at some point at the same point as the big crash i'd previously suspected. You can see inside the sill where it has been pulled out with a jig and the sill is split all the way along. They'd basically got a hammer pull and pulled it all back out, then slapped on half an inch thick of fibreglass followed by half an inch of filler, the bits he hammered off weighed a ton!! :( :angry: :(

So this should of been finished tonight, now I have to go help my mate doing metalwork and welding (I'm a qualified engineer technician :p ) when he finishes at 1pm tomorrow to make sure it's all done for monday :(
    Looking at it, it would of been so much easier for whoever did it to weld on a new sill! It certainly would of been cheaper!, clearly they were scared of a welder! Anyway, looks like we'll be busy and hopefully we can get it done! Wish us luck! :ph34r:

8. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Wow thats messy! Me and Nealey broke a mk3 same colour that had a few suprises under the trim, big hole in the sill on the offside not to mention bottoms of the inner wings going crusty. Fair play to you for sticking it with it mate. That senders still at work somewhere! Did put it into stock as it had been so long!:lol:

9. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Sorry Ian [:$]

Been a bit busy with having the baby, car woes and severe lack of funds!

I do still need them though lol

10. Dubmuffin Forum Member

Our cars could be twins... :lol: rust twins + hole in sill twins too...[:^(]
    Looks like they're doing a good job sorting it so far though :) mine will be have to be treated to a new wing, sill and full respray this year[8(]

11. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Always the way!

We decided with mine t'd be better to weld in a new half sill for the front. So that will be arriving monday ready to be welded on monday night and into the bodyshop a day late

12. Fitz-VR6

Fitz-VR6 Forum Member

looks like its goin to be a top car when finished, really good thread...............makes me miss my mk3 :o(

13. Vdubbster Forum Member

Pete,

What gains you hoping for?

14. Pete Taylor Forum Member

All depends how well the management, fuelling, inlet, injectors etc etc work together.

It'll be somewhere between 200 and 250 bhp when done. Somewhere between 30-50 % increase in power, it's running at 161bhp as standard at the moment

15. Pete Taylor Forum Member

we have so much in common... let's get married :p

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  16. Vdubbster Forum Member

200-250 sounds impressive at what cost in total?

17. Pete Taylor Forum Member

All parts, labour, custom work, management and mapped probably kicking on towards the 2k mark

18. Pete Taylor Forum Member

The new sill turned up today which is a bonus. Went round and gave my mate a hand. Got out all the spot welds and split the sill free from the rest of the car, just need to grind the rest of the sill off before welding on the new one.

That was of course after we had to remove the grille, bumper, lights, wings, arch liners etc etc etc lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see she aint looking too pretty at the moment! Hopefully it'll all be ready for the bodyshop tomorrow (at last) and I may aswel put on all my new bumper, grille and wings instead of the old kit eh

19. Gaz16v Forum Member

wheel refurb:lol:

20. Pete Taylor Forum Member

On the cards, the offside front resembles a square though. You think I can find a single RS4 to buy anywhere though [:x]