Horn Stopped working

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by paulm2322, Feb 7, 2022.

1. paulm2322

paulm2322 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

I’ve just noticed my horn has stopped working. I’ve checked fuse, looked fine but replaced with new one to be on safe side. Relay clicks when I press horn button. Is there anything obvious I might have missed on my checks?

Typical that I have car booked in for MOT next week so really want to fix before it goes to garage.

Any help much appreciated.

Paul

2. stephen stanyer Forum Member

Just had the same problem After much investigation I found the relay was not fully seated. Try removing the steering wheel center cover and touching the 2 wires together the horn should work (ignition on) if not it could be the contact ring is not contacting the small strip that passes the current try bending it up slightly. Last thing does the horn work?.

3. davidut5 Forum Member

If relay clicks could be anything from there to the horn including ground.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

jump horns with live and earth see if they actually sound, the black/yellow wire should be ignition live the brown/black is switched by the horn relay

5. paulm2322

paulm2322 Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for the help guys. I took airbag cover off and all was fine. Used wire to connect horn terminals and still nothing. Went into engine bay and two wires had come apart! Missed it the first time I did a check!

No more panic for MOT next week!

Cheers,

Paul