how fast will my car be

Discussion in '8-valve' started by matt~driver, Feb 15, 2011.

1. matt~driver Forum Member

Ive got a gti box on it forgot to mention. Ive also poly bushed the wishbones and gti rear axel im planning on fitting a standard size front arb and have got a set of avo gtx suspension to go on planning on making up a front strut brace/strut top strengthener. Ive made up a basic sump guard for now and have an idea for a tank guard im running all fuel and brake lines inside and going to get custom flexes made up to avoid the pipes running on the axel and being vulnerable. thanks for some sensible replays

2. danster Forum Addict

It is safer to stick with a 1.6 VW Golf in rallying classes.
    Because going with a 2.0 16v will mean you get humped. [:D]

3. matt~driver Forum Member

How easy is it to fit a different final drive and how common are the lower final drive boxes I think 3.94 would be ok 4.25 might be a bit low plan on driving to events

4. fthaimike Forum Addict

I still use a 4+E box though it is a 2.1 8v, didn't think a 1.6 would pull at all with such long gears?

5. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

I had a 1.6 Mk2 "Ryder" and that made 98 BHP and that was standard. Maybe it was having a good day!

6. mk216vrick Forum Member

hi matt, get yourself along to one of the manchester meets, harmless plug - one this sunday cheadle royal pub 6.30pm start.

im in stockport also.

Rick

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

As you're looking to go competing in this, and might want to stick to the 1600 class, as per Danster's input, and adding a bit.

Skim 1.5 or 2mm off a GTI head fit that with a proper cam (285ish), a 3.9 FD GTI gearbox and get it properly set up on a rolling road (or drive to Perth and get Danster to set it up for you), and try a Kjet Rocco / 8v GTI distributor to see if the advance curve suits it better.

If you can afford it, get an LSD on it.

Put vented discs on the front if you're going to do single venue stages or track days - ideally 256s, but 239s would help. For sprints you probably won't go far enough to cook the brakes.

Spend any money you've got left on better tyres, better suspension, and a roll cage. Then, when the 'disease' really takes hold and the bank repossesses your house, you can lie back in the gutter knowing you gave it your best shot :lol:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  8. mk216vrick Forum Member

matt i have an 8v kjet distributor if you decide to give it ago.

9. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

'Fraid your special HT leads aren't going to make any difference, but good luck with getting good results when you've finished.

Not sure what air filtration arrangements you're planning/have, but I would suggest that if you have the factory airbox you either replace the filter regularly (if paper) or clean it regularly if K&N-style. I don't do power, but economy-wise the paper filters need changing every 4-6 months at least (say 4-6000 miles) if you don't want to suffer on airflow. They pay for themselves in improved economy, even at dealer prices.

That implies that power would suffer to at least the same degree, I think. :)

10. matt~driver Forum Member

I had the leads of my other golf found it pulls smoother though. I have 256 on the front going to get ds2500 when my pads wear out. Would like a lsd but will have to pay for other things first. I have a k&n filter but im a bit worried about water getting in when I go threw fords.

Ive put the head on already I wasn’t sure if tsr might have skimmed it like that or just a light skim. Ive got a 6point bolt in role centre cage I think it’s a sun roof one if any of you are interested.

Might pop up what time you there till

that disey sounds good how much you after

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  11. mk216vrick Forum Member

get along matt, people go at 6 and have a sit down meal but i aim for 7.30 b'cos i dont eat, usually 10ish. 20quid for dizzy if it comes out of block! I would be interested in cage mate. Come along, would be good to chat about your plans with car. Rick

12. matt~driver Forum Member

will see you there around 8.30 is it at cheadle royal