How to convert your Digi Golf 2 to MegaSquirt V3x. P3 28/11/11 The end of an era!

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Toyotec, Jul 28, 2007.

1. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

toyo what sort of price would a digi to ms setup be from yourself, ready installed or DIY? where do you put the TPS on the throttle body, it seems a bit cramped at the minute?

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

really silly question, but does the 'blitz' chip for the DIGI control timing as well or is it just fueling it alters?

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

You mean digi 3.2 as in yours?

4. Toyotec

send me a pm.

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

on the digi that youve been working on.

im pretty sure that the 'blitz' chip on mine does alter the ignition map, but didnt know if it did the same on the older digi engines.

6. Toyotec

The best person to answer that Matt is Garfayliu on here. I optimised his car some time ago when he snapped a t/belt could not tell any difference between his car and another of similar spec to his that I had also optimsed.
    For me I want to see the calibration and compare before there is any faith.

7. Toyotec

Happy to report the M/S ECU swap has been performing very well considering that the car has covered 1500miles since we last worte about it. As the weather gets cold I may have to tweak the cold start tables to ensure the same "first starts" I have been having over the summer. Apart from that no problem.
    Just hopes the missues does her engine checks. Do not want to replace another crankshaft!!

8. wcrado Forum Member

well if you wanted a reliable fuelling remap in a mk2 digi with the 2.0 conversion, who would you see about that? obviously you've proved the ebay ones are not much cop, so where could you get the fuelling mapped to suit my mods?

9. Toyotec

Since I had that engine in another shell,years before getting into megasquirt, I was looking for someone who understood digifant 2, Motorola CPU, and the straetgy that operated the PCM and its functions. Perhaps someone who could point me in the direction of recalibrating the ECU to do what what the engine needed. I know that the injection addresses are stored on the eproms but the ignition is stored in the cache of the cpu. The closest to this need was Filmstar that uses a MAF. But I was not convined by the pound/torque relationship for a 2.0 8v
    It was the igntion cals I wanted to address as I was having problems to start the engine (starter kick back) and normal pinking issues when attempting to tune for optimum performance throughout the rev range. This proved to be useless as well as other mods to trick the exsiting ECU.
    The comparison thingy was done to investigate engine fueling and the data generated to give the reader a feel of how the car was accelerating. Felt like manure on the so called chipped ECU.
    However with the use of megasquirt. I found the limits of this specific set up and can know make changes to the hardware to bring it in line with my desired requirements.
    The other thing to answer your question is I do not need to go to anyone to map any of my engines. Its all done by me;)

10. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

great work Toyo, Since you started this i have bought a ms3 ecu, and will begin to install it on my tb'd 8v engine, when i finally assemble it again!

i feel i may have a few questions along the way.

11. Toyotec

You mean a MS1 Version 3.
    Just shoot when ever you are ready.

12. wcrado Forum Member

well done..... i would love to megasquirt my car, and as you've proved, you've gained masses of torque through the revs, even if others out there are focusing on 'peak' bhp and accusing this of not being worthwile.

So are you telling me, then, that a mapped eprom for my car is a bit of a waste of time, unless i have the ignition map done at the same time?

I can notice a massive difference in low-down power if i wind the AFM spring back a notch, but then the car loses power at high RPM. With that in mind, i figured just a custom fuelling map for my car would give me the best of both worlds, and wondered who i would see about doing such a thing.

13. Toyotec

As I have been asked, there has been some updates to this thread for CE1 and CE2 fusebox integration that mirror the How to MS your ABF motor.
    I do care about 8v owners too...lol.

14. serone New Member

megasquirt

Hi! Where can i by a MS? I'm interested in a megasquirt. I would like the cheapest one please. I want to be able to command only 2 injectors, and also if it's possible to convert my AFM (flap) to MAP and make my stock ecu work with MAP. Maybe one injector and an electro valve solenoid which draws 1A. The solenoid would be activated only in boost. I would like a kit to assemble it myself. Thank you very much.

15. Toyotec

It is time to say good bye to my 3A 8v Golf2.

Review of the past

My 3A'd 8v, served the my family for many years. During that time many subtle mods were performed to the vehicle to improve on appearance, handling and power. Regarding power, investigations took place to enhance the performance of the factory Audi 80 engine, that was fitted with Digifant controls with the hope the general engine performance could improve.
    I found fitting a 2 litre 8v like this, did have a positive effect on low speed/low load to full load response, but recall no change to high rpm feel compared to the old PB engine it replaced.
    After attempting all the "known" tweaks, it was decided to add a SEM ECU and performing tuning iterations for maximum response and still deliver drivability that superseded the digifant control. The car was then used, primarily by my spouse, as one of the family daily drivers.
    The addition and integration of the Megasquirt ECU on this vehicle, was shared on this forum and while the car was "SORN", it was used as a development rig for VW dizzy MS applications.
    However the car had got to its end of life and it was time for it to be broken up.

The last drive

Before sending it "away" it was given one last change to shout at the recent dyno clinic, held at Garage Streamline. It was also a time to blow out all the cob webs and wild life that had accumulated over the period the car was dormant. This car had never been to the dyno before, so I was eager to see how it would fear against many of the other CGTi and general VW clients on this particular dyno. The guys from GS would kind enough to take it away on a flat bed truck. It would be the last time we would see our old "more door" in these parts [:^(]

[​IMG]

...or would we...:o

Once at the garage we got it on the rolls and started the testing.

[​IMG]

The final result:

[​IMG]

The power and torque peak points, after a small amount of fettling, were just as described years ago, when the G-tech was used to captivate acceleration performance as seen below.

[​IMG]

An interesting oberservation was made when this plot was comapred with another vehicle, G60KG, that ran a 2E/PB engine/head combo with a 272 camshaft but on a std 1.8 digfant ECU and calibration.

[​IMG]

Goes to show how much dedicated tuning using a SEM can affect the performance of a std base engine compared to just adding hardware to an engine with an unmatched ECU calibration.
    As seen in the plot above the Digifant/cam'd car still had a small advantage but not alot over the SEM'd 3A 8v.

Out with the old in with the...

Now that the car has performed it's last contribution to society you could easily say its the end of the road...but...some how...it's components have already started migrating to this...

[​IMG] [:D]

This other more door is a different story though...;)
    Watch this space. There are many Pferdstarke to follow...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  16. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I missed the update on this thread. I see my cars performance is very similar to the 3a with standard hardware. Can't wait to get mine onto MS to squeeze a little extra out of it.

17. francescodenetto Forum Member

Hi..which mileage has you got with megasquirt? It was better than digifant 2?

Inviato dal mio SM-N9005 utilizzando Tapatalk