How to fit a rear mounted screenwash bottle & make your own catch tank

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Admin, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Admin Guest

This guide shows how to mount your screen wash bottle into the rear of your car (This was carried out on a Golf MK2). It gives details on VAG part numbers for parts and which wires to re-route through the car.

Why mount your screen wash in the rear?

There are two good reasons, one it is a lot of weight forward of the front axle, any reduction in this weight will help to increase turn and reduce under steer.

Two it cleans and tidies the engine bay, you could just remove the screen wash all together but you need it to pass an MOT with.

I took a trip down to my local scrappy and hunted for cheap genuine parts. For the screen wash bottle I used one from a MK2 Polo. This is a small bottle with a square shape. It doesn’t take up much room/weight and it can fit pretty much anywhere you would want.

Part No 321 955 453 E

[​IMG]

To mount the bottle I used the original mounting which is just spot welded to the car. Remove by drilling the spot welds or if like me you don’t have a drill with you a hammer and large screw driver.

[​IMG]

To mount the bracket I needed it to sit slightly further out, so I put it in the vice and bent two apposing 90 deg angles into both sides.

[​IMG]

A quick sand and spray after I had drilled the holes.

[​IMG]

I wanted to mount the bottle close to the back of the car so it is nice and easy to refill when needed. I drilled into the car and bolted the holder on, between the holder and the car I fitted some rubber grommets I got from Halfords, so that it would have some give and hopefully not bend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the screen wash hose i used the existing lines and slightly adapted them, in the engine bay i pushed the hose that comes from the firewall straight up and through the scuttle tray and then connected it to the front washer jet pipping.

In the rear I pulled the washer tube that ran inside the boot. Then i ran this line around the back of the car towards the washer bottle, then i looped it high above the bottle to stop it spraying under heavy braking. I then used a single output washer pump taken from a 2000 Polo.

Part No. 1H5 955 651

[​IMG]

I dont run a rear wiper or wash so i did not need a two way pump. If you do run a rear wiper and wash then simple run a length of tube from the secound outlet on the pump up through the boot and to the jet there.

To wire the pump up you will need two lengths of wire that are around 2.5m each. Cut the plug of the wiring loom in the engine bay and leave yourself plenty of spare wire. Join the new wires to the plug, soldering is best, then wrap or heat shrink the join.

Run the wires through the car to the fuse box, at the fuse box you will need to cut two wires.

A RED and GREEN wire that connects to the wiring plug C position 9

A BROWN and BLUE wire that connects to the wiring plug E position 7

These positions and colours for the wiring are for a Pre-90 Spec MK2 and later MK1 CE1 fuseboxs. Although the wires should be the same later models. Check here for a electrical guide.

Connect all the wires back up, mount the bottle fill with screen wash and test. All should be working well. :thumbup:

If you feel it takes to long for the water spray to come out, then fit a none return vavle close to the washer jets.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2008
  2. Admin Guest

Once you have mounted you screenwash bottle into the rear it leaves you with the front screen wash bottle not doing alot. if your car is a bit track biased you may feel the need to run a catch tank. Mines on ITB's so i need a catch tank and am not forking out over 60 on one.

So, like a few people on here im using the old washer bottle, loverly and big, is already mounted and is see through so you can see how full it is getting.

Anyway very simply you need to plum the breather pipe into the catch tank, so take one of these and a washer...

[​IMG]

Tap with one of these...

[​IMG]

To get this...

[​IMG]

Then mount onto the washer bottle and don't forget to block the hole for the pump in the washer bottle. A M6 bolt worked a treat for me.

[​IMG]

And the bottle all connected up with a heater hose from Halfords - it cost 2.40

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2008
  3. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Very early mk2 golfs came with a rear mounted bottle for the rear screen. You can use this and it will bolt straight into the space behind the rear offside wheel.

[​IMG]

4. Erny Forum Member

The early mk2 rear washer bottle part number is 191955453 . Availablity is quite low tho it seems.

5. g60_edition_one New Member

If you are not using the rear wash wiper, you'll then have two wires not in use in the boot area.

To save you putting more wires in your car and for more of the factory look, I would alter the wiring at the fuse box. This also means you're not cutting wires which can be messy.

Swap the wires for the front washer for the rear wash wiper. Therefore when you pull on the wiper arm, the washer fluid will pump through from the back. This also means when you push the wiper arm away from you now have the option to connect something to the now redundant front washer wiring.

If you have a terminal tool this is fairly easy to do with the 90-spec fuse box, although pre 90-spec shouldn't be too much hassle either.

-Ben

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  6. fthaimike Forum Addict

So does that mean as you use up the water in the bottle the car will turn in better?

7. Golfamily7 Forum Member

No, because he now does not have a washer bottle in the front!?!?! But for you it may be another matter! ;)

8. southside_styling Forum Member

i like this idea, alot, i am going to do this on my mk2, could you please answer a question for me, what color wires are they that would need to be swapped?

are they the same as the ones you have mentioned as above? i have a pre 90 mk2.

9. fthaimike Forum Addict

Ah but dear watson the weight is now behind the rear axle causing it to be tail happy ;) :lol:

10. Golfamily7 Forum Member

True,true :lol:

11. g60_edition_one New Member

The following is based on a 90-spec loom as that is what I am using in my Mk1.

You will need to swap C7 (brown/yellow) for K6 (black/yellow) and C2 (green/red) for K9 (green/black).

I not 100% sure what the wires will be for a pre 90-spec, so you will have to do a bit of leg work. Use the following pages from A2Resource for cross-referencing.

Pre 90-Spec

90-Spec

-Ben

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  12. Admin Guest

Not in the pre 90 spec as the rear screen gets it fluid from the front of the car, the pump works in two directions and there are only two wires...

A RED and GREEN wire that connects to the wiring plug C position 9

A BROWN and BLUE wire that connects to the wiring plug E position 7

And if you are moving 4kg of wieght (the bottle filled with water) to the back it will only help, and it is inline with the back axle not over like it is at the front so work that one out ;)

13. Admin Guest

Since when have mk2's been tail happy? lift of oversteer maybe. :lol: :lol:

14. g60_edition_one New Member

Cheers for adding the extra info for the pre 90-spec cars.

Both pre 90-spec and post 90-spec get the washer fluid from the front AND yes you still get two spare wires because I was talking about disconnecting the rear wiper motor.

-Ben

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  15. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I need one of these now.

16. emery1990 Forum Member

Good guide, I'll look to get this done on mine. If people cannot do that set and die thing to that connector you've got, then I think just a normal tank connector would work with a bit 22/15mm copper poking up to connect the breather hose onto. Can it get from plumbing merchants, bbq will probably do it too.

17. Admin Guest

Yep sounds good, i only made those because I was being cheap and had them to hand. I have now replaced with push on hoses because I wanted two and did not have another. Only cost a few pound each from Demon Tweeks.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2011
  18. darrren Forum Member

silly question,but where are those hoses going to? As im making a catch tank,can i just use a single hose plumbed in from my crankcase breather?and use a filter on the catch can?

19. Admin Guest

You can but the car will stink of fumes so I route the fumes into the inlet so they are burnt off, that is the second hose.

20. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Dragging up this very old but useful thread.
    I can’t seem to find an aftermarket washer bottle with twin outlets. Anyone found one?