How to ...Fitting Focus/Seat Short master cylinder to mk2 servo modification for 1.8t

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by fasteddie, Sep 5, 2014.

1. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

i was chatting to a friend about this lastnight as i have the stubby with 4 outlets... so going to blank 2 of them so that i can reuse the current brake lines.

but he suggested that the 3mm spacer was a better option as the mk2 reservoir is too tight up on the scuttle?

2. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Well you have all the info on this topic you need and there is a link to my build on my sig as to fitment etc.
    Your friend has found something I haven't with these cars.
    If you have read through this and looked at links and your friend tells you the spacer is the better way to go due to your low scuttle, get her sorted Bai
    go with the 3mm spacer :thumbup:

3. cupracraig

Yep, read through this lastnight and then had the chat with my fellow conversionist.
    Seems like thats been the theme of my conversion in that some people have had a different experience of parts fitting and what not. i've got two brake servos so will try grinding the stub first and see what happens.. still.. learning lots

4. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

still.. learning lots ... its all good and I hope we can help :thumbup:

There are no issues where reservoir is too tight up on the scuttle mate ;)
    The spud mod is the best way to do it factory, 3mm spacer is a poor job.

5. cupracraig

jamesa and fasteddie like this.
  6. kampervan New Member

if doing this mod when refitting should there still be some pressure on the master cylinder. after taking 3mm of spud. master cylinder still a couple of mm away from servo when contact between spud and rod of mc

7. 10mm socket Paid Member Paid Member

I had the same problem and all brakes were slightly binding, I took another 2mm off.

8. DN5

DN5 Paid Member Paid Member

Can anyone give the length of the 'spud' or nipple before any grinding? Dude on here is stuck for the answer :thumbup:

9. marcelthegreat New Member

I did mine the other evening, length of the spud before grinding was 14.88mm.

Marc

10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Thanks for that confirmation, I'll let him know :)

11. Jiminycricket New Member

Looking for some advice pls, I have fitted the mk1 focus ms and have been attempting to bleed it for the last three days, I was able to bleed the primary cylinder but the secondary seems to not return to allow fluid in until I loosen it from the brake servo, I have filed well over 3 mm of the stub now in the hopes to allow it to return to refill the secondary cylinder, when the pedal is fully in it seems to stick the piston in until I back it off from the servo, any help would be appreciated I’m loosing my mind

12. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Useful post, thanks
    Jon

13. boostedgolf Forum Member

might have missed something, but am i right that part number for this is : ford 1094174 ?

14. rubjonny

looks like one of the versions yep, couple m10 threads on the correct side for a mk2 golf and m12 on the other you can just cap off :)

15. boostedgolf Forum Member

Great, thanks for the reply.. as far as i researched there shouldn't be any difference between ABS and non ABS M/C... i get to the dealer and get one now.

16. rubjonny

theres several versions, main difference comes down to what outlets are on it. for an easy life you want at least 2x m10 holes as thats same thread as original pipes

17. boostedgolf Forum Member

Great, thanks alot. this will go on my mk3 1.8T, VR6 servo, since im uprating to TT discs front & back.

18. rubjonny

only thing to watch out for is on some mk3 servo the studs are diagonal rather than horizontal, if so you need a different servo

19. BRI

bri Forum Member

Hi,
    Is the 24mm focus brake master cylinder beneficial in terms of improved brake feel and reduced travel in conjunction with a big brake front caliper upgrade ? Or does the shorter length of the cylinder offset any benefit in this way.
    I have seat Ibiza cupra R brembo 4 pot calipers fitted to my early corrado ( same 22mm m/c as mk2 16v) and am finding a lot of brake pedal travel now so looking for a upgraded m/c to suit my appication ?

20. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

I changed to rear discs and g60 front on mine a few weeks ago, original cylinder had a little more travel than before, then fitted the focus one and rebled the system and it is far better than before and than the same brake set up on my old caddy with standard cylinder.
    I have a full set of leon cupra r brakes to possibly fit in the future so hopefully I've resolved the cylinder now for when that point comes, aswell as the clearance for engine swap.
    May sound silly, but can you pump the pedal and get it to rise? Air trapped in system somewhere
    My mgf has 4 pots and it didn't alter the pedal significantly, but were a bit of a pain to bleed, suggest using a gunsons eezibleed or similar, about £20, simple and a one person job.