How to Meqasquirt your ABF engine

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Toyotec, Oct 20, 2007.

Tags:
  1. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

This has been helpful. Reading the original assembly guide and the extra manual can be conflicting for hall input. I followed the extra part which uses a 1k resistor for optoin power. This is more straight forward. Thanks, i'll be changing mine to this as you have proved it works. Does the hall sensor get powered from pin 26 in this version, as shown in the extra manual?

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Device mods and

• Output for TCI-h

For Dizzy applications using VW TCI-h unit you do not need an IGBT. Instead solder a 1K resistor to anode of LED 17 and pull up with 5Vs from proto area. the other leg of the 1K resistor goes to Pin 36 or IGBTOUT with a link to Pin 36. This will tell the TCI-h unit when to discharge the coil. You can use MK3 coil packs or older VW coil and TCI-h units. MK3 coil packs are shocking. The older system is more robust to failure.

Tach mod for low amplified clocks (MK3, Seat, Corrado or Lupo)
    <add efiextra documentation>
    <add toyotec photo>
    Tach mod when using wasted spark with MK1/2 high amplified cluster.

ISCV
    For 2pin ISCV operation follow the instructions in the manual between 62 and 63.
    Do not install R39, Q4, Q20 and D8 if using a TIP120-122.

Testing the device

Once the device is built and you have been following the pre-tests in the instructions i.e. comms echoing, CPU/clock operation, you are ready again to power up the device with the stim and flash the latest MS1 extra software (29y4). You will need to have Megatune 225p3 combo pack installed on your PC and have a reliable serial port. USB to serial can work but are temperamental. Serial port very reliable.
    If you are not confident about your temperature readings to real world you can tweak the actual resistance to correlate to actual temperature with Easythem software. This generates an ini file that is used in the firmware and on your MT.
    Your device is ready to be integrated to the engine.

Device integration

With the device built you have to start integrating to the engine.
    ABF engines (as do most post 92 VAG motors) can have the engine control loom disconnected from a 28 pin plug.
    The pin out on most plugs looks like this.

Pins straight to ECU
    Pins straight to car

RS AutoSport MS diagram
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the build sheet that I use when build one these units for an ABF engine code. It includes connections points for VW CE1 and 2 fuseboxes and tach mods incase a MK3 or later cluster is used.

NB
    To those who what to just simply copy this diagram please understand what you are doing first. If you do not have the confidence with what I am posting then get someone who has!
    There may be small errors with the diagram but I am sure it can be rectified in time.

Toyotec's ABF to MS Diagram

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hall dizzy and crank sensor config.

Dizzy G40
    Pin 1 = -
    Pin 2 = 0
    Pin 3 = 5 or 12V

[​IMG]

Crank sensor G28
    T3c Pin 1 = 5 or 12V
    T3c Pin 2 = Signal
    T3c Pin 3 = GND

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
    Nige likes this.
  3. Toyotec

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  4. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Thanks Eddie. You are a complete star [:*:].

I have finished constructing & testing my MS1 Extra and found your build thread saved me loads of time and messing about with trying to find out what build options I needed.

For anyone wishing to undertake the same, once you start building the MS for yourself, Toyotec's comments will make total sense.

Also, it doesn't matter if you are going to use a dizzy or the 60-2 wheel for ignition triggers, the Hall sense circuit highlighted in the build thread above is what you need. (Thanks for that too Eddie, ;)).

Gurds

Nige likes this.
  5. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

That diagrams better to read.[8D]

6. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Just a quick note:
    For anyone having trouble with finding a Serial to USB adapter that works with Megasquirt, I found one.

5.99 from Micrologic.

http://www.micro-logic.com/ItemDesc.asp?ic=771048

[​IMG]

It comes with installation software. Once installed, just change the COM port number to 1 in Device Manager.

I used it so far to test comms, upgrade code to MSnS Extra and play around with configs.

Gurds

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  7. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

PCMIA Card works best i think 7 off e-bay .

RS-232 Serial DB9 Port PCMCIA I/O Card

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  8. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Eddie, noticed an error. This should be Cathode or -ve.

9. Toyotec

Cheers. I will check and edit. Small amount of the CE1 stuff on the PDF also contains errors. The joys of late night "Stromlaufplan" reading...lol.

10. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I have almost completed wiring my setup into the car now and came across some confusion. After chatting to Eddie, he directed me to one of Rubjonny's posts that cleared things up. Rubjonny's post basically clarifies the following:

- When using a CE1 fusebox the digifant relay is fitted to Relay Position 1 on the fuse box.
    - Connect fusebox pin D-2 to R-1. This supplies ignition live to the digifant relay.
    - Connect fusebox pin R-2 to the MS power supply(MS pin 28), injectors supply etc. This is the switched supply back from the digifant relay to power MS and injectors etc.

To do this, the plug for socket R will have to be sourced from an early digifant mk2. Or alternatively, a separate relay can be used to switch power to MS & injectors via a relay holder. (As I have).

- Finally, connect MS Fuel Pump Relay wire (MS pin 37) to fusebox pin D-13. This switches the fuel pump on when the MS is on.

Thanks Guys.

Gurds

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  11. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Tacho wiring on clocks of mk3 clocks... feed from ecu into clocks is T28/10 (all wires bar one are white)
    elsewhere on here I read Ms used pin 1, which it is'nt for tacho

just built DTH system 16v abf in mk2 using S40 dta, and this is the wire which worked. It had to be isolated (cut) from the rest of the wiring tho, so direct to clocks, else it did'nt work.

12. Toyotec

MS on Pin 1?

Tach output for low amplifed units comes out of the chosen spare outputs on the MS. For Central Electric 2 systems, this then goes to white connetor G1/12 on the engine loom which is linked to the blue connector U1/6, The white wires from U1/6 link to a 28 pin clusteer connector on pin 10. That is the correct current path for CE2 tach input.

13. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

No need to cut any wires on mine. Conncted into engine loom as above (may be slightly different on mk3) and worked straight away. I recall using output X5 (JS3).

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  14. Toyotec

Same on a MK3 and Corrado

15. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

it was in a diagram in this thread I read the T28/1 designation.. hence posting back in this thread it is not that

and the wire did have to be isolated from the existing wiring/ecu to allow tacho to work

16. Toyotec

The only reference to "T28" in this thread by me was the T28a big round plug on the engine which does not have any tach signal and cetainly not on pin 1. Unless I made a typo that I cannot find?
    Instructions for low amplified tach output are given on the bottom left of the pdf file and dont state specifically which fusebox or connecter to link off.

Strange you had to isolate the wire, but at least it is working.

17. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

^^This is how i connected mine. I left my loom in place and chopped off ECU plug. I connected the output from the low tach output pin in MS directly to the wire which would connect to pin#22 on th ABF ECU. This is a green/white wire that connects to G1/12 on the fusebox.

18. serone New Member

MS1

Can someone help me with buying a MS1 kit? I can assembler it my self but it has to be cheep enough to worth it. I want to use it as a piggyback and to convert my VAF to MAP if is possible. Please help me with a price for the MS but a Europe one cuz from the states is not cheep.[:^(]

19. romaingirardlamamy

romaingirardlamamy Forum Member

Awesome thread!!!
    Just a quick one can the same set up do
    *sequential injection
    *sequential ignition ( one coil per cylinder )
    *eight injector setting ( double ramp)
    I guess it need some upgrade for that if so which one?
    Or is it a totally different kit?
    Romain

20. emery1990 Forum Member

Eddie, I am useless at reading for stuff, but all I can find regarding power to the ms ecu is from the fuel pump relay, Ive already got my fuel pump wire to where you say the connect the ms 12v wire to. I'm getting my 12v to my injectors from the old WUR feed Red/White.

I can easily just cut off the fuel pump wire from where its connected and connect the MS 12v to it, but then where would I put that fuel pump wire? Everything else is done apart from the ms 12v wire.

Presuming this is thread you told me to write in.?