how to replace the oil seal in a 16v distributor

Discussion in '16-valve' started by MUSHY 16V, May 1, 2009.

1. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

if it dont work i could send you one of the seals i have left to try out
    let us know how you get on

thats a nice photo of the shims
    there seems to be a few variations in the shims

2. neil kaye Forum Junkie

thanks mate ill let you know if i need one,ive just built 3 up now so not sure i want to strip again but i di have another dizzy,just need a few bits for it,so if i can find them ill build it with one of your seals
    would be so much easier if we could find someone who supplied 12.5's
    one of the dizzy's i built was with them shims above,and the other 2 with the 3 metal ones and 2 of the fibre washers you made for me,the one with the above shims has a tiny bit of end float the others dont,not sure if thats good or bad :lol:

3. murph81 Forum Member

Can you use a kr distributor on an abf?

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

5. murph81 Forum Member

Even an abf on standard management?

The coil went in my mk2 abf last week, fitted a coil, went grand for a few days and then the dizzy went, fitted a kr dizzy a while ago and no go.

6. MUSHY 16V

when you say standard management what are you using mk3 or mk2 with k jet
    if you are using the mk3 ecu then no the kr dizzy wont work

7. rubjonny

if its an abf on digi it will run fine with the dizzy hall sender unplugged anyway, so if it still wont start then problem is elsewhere

8. murph81 Forum Member

I havent got the rev counter wired up yet, but when I switch on the ignition the revcounter needle lifts for a split second, is this related?

Any other ideas on what it could be, or tests I can carry out?

There is a new coil on it from Otto, it just died suddenly and won't start, fuel pump is running fine.

9. rubjonny

probably not that does happen sometimes. i would go with crank sensor. does the pump prime with the ignition then run while its cranking? at least its worth a look at the crank sensor wiring if its the original then the wires will be all buggered I bet

10. blis Forum Member

I havent the courage to be merciless... I think Im going to apply heat.

It's coming out.... almost 3/4 out... %$%$%... Alu housing cracked in the vice... Those that mention just to buy the whole dizzy know something I now know!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  11. MUSHY 16V

a note you should never hold the distributor like the picture above
    i rested the drive on the vice and tapped the pin out

12. lufbramatt Forum Member

Found a supplier of the right size 12.5x19x5mm seals on ebay, user name is "Bohemia_seal".

13. MUSHY 16V

cool what kind of price are they asking
    i found a few places up hear that will make them but the price is too high due to being a one off

14. lufbramatt Forum Member

Ordered 3 seals so I had a spare and it came to 9 including shipping which I didn't think was too bad. Will let you know if/when they turn up!

15. lufbramatt Forum Member

Finally got round to doing this today. word of advice- start with a spare dizzy as this isn't an easy job and messing it up will result in a dead car.

Getting the pin out of the shaft took me about 2 hours plus a trip to machine mart half way though as I broke two pin punches in the process. You have to use a frightening amount of force to get that pin out. Make sure the ally casting is well supported on both sides in the vice not like the picture above as you WILL end up breaking it. I had to use a slightly oversize pin punch and file it down to fit the hole as thinner ones just snap.

The hall sender from GSF listed for the KR dizzy is identical to the ABF one. For an ABF you need to use the hall sender with the large back plate (pickup is 180 degrees from the loom connector) otherwise the signal will be 180 degrees out of phase with what the ECU needs. The type pictured in the first post wont work on an ABF.

The 12.5x19mm seals from "Bohemia Seal" on ebay are exactly the right size and fit perfectly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rotary-sh...734?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416542c096

16. neil kaye Forum Junkie

finaly got round to trying this and i found that fitting an ABF hall sender in a KR dizzy does work

17. Mike_H Forum Addict

Great guide. Just re-ordered some seals as I can't find the first batch - then I can finish the job lol

18. pedroabio New Member

Very nice guide. Thanks

19. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

Just to say I did this rebuild a good while ago (about 2007 I think) - on a KR/ABF dizzy I was/am intending to fit to the rocco.

I used a 12x19x5mm seal, and it seemed to go together fine, though I've not actually tested/ran it yet. It makes me wonder if Bosch/ducillier/marrelli use slightly different shaft diameters, there's a thread on the vortex on this and he uses 12mm seals too.

Reason I looked this up is I'm looking to fix the oily mess that's been made all over the electrics on the Ibiza (stupid place to put all the engine electrical connections, right under a component known to dribble oil). If anyone is interested I'll measure the shaft on the Ibiza when it comes apart and post up my findings.

20. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Thank you for this DIY guide.

This eBay link is still valid today, so I have ordered five seals to make the shipping cost worthwhile.

If anyone reading this in the near future wants a seal urgently, drop me a PM and I could stick one in an envelope first class.