I want more power UPDATED with progress report

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Gaz37, May 24, 2010.

1. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I've decided that I want my '86 8v to go faster & was after advice on the easiest/cheapest of the following options, bearing in mind that the car is running on k-jet & I really don't have the electrical ability to cahnge looms etc-

Option 1. 2 Litre conversion, can this be done retaining the k-jet, if so which bottom end/engine do I need to find?

Option2. Simply swap my 8v for a 16v, I'm guessing that this is simply an unbolt old engine & bolt in new engine job?

Which option will give the best return/hassle ratio?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Or... change the gearbox, swapping one with a 3.67 final drive, and install a 3.9 from a Golf GTI 1600.

The difference will be instantly noticeable, the car will pull more keenly in any gear, but it will cruise at higher rpm on the motorway, with mpg consequences.

Worth a thought anyway.

3. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

I was also going to say change the gearbox, I put a 2y box in my cabby the other week and its like a whole new car, easy spanner job and id never done a golf one before. But dont start looking for a 2y box now as I need one and I want fist dibs on a localish one:p I also fitted a hotgolf flywheel at the same time and im sure thats helping abit aswell. Just check the code on your box first though as some 8v gti's already had pretty short ratios so to gain anything you would need to change the final drive to a 3.9 like Chris said.

4. chrismc Forum Junkie

A 2L 8v block is essentially a straight swap..2E or AGG codes are ideal.

If you are already on k-jet then I'd personally investigate how easy it would be to go 2L 16v. Certainly the most cost-effective and future proof way to go if the car is used on track:thumbup:

5. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Thanks for the advice guys, TBH I'm not keen on the gearbox idea as my current engine is getting a bit tired (anyone who saw my smokescreen at Curborough will agree) and I don't dare make it rev any faster/higher.

I'm tempted to go the 16v route as it should give 20+bhp gain over the 8v with less messing around & then possibly a 2litre conversion on that at a later date.

Is the 8v to 16v conversion simply a straight swap?

6. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

unless the car has lots of other stuff done / sentimental value

sell 8v, buy 16v

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

After all the threads on the subject including a fairly detailed "HOW ABF to into a MK2" what you mean?

Put the 8v in the bin and get a boggo std ABF motor with digifant and and ECU, job done.
    It is not the "20bhp" gain but more torque and revs everywhere.
    Go on...you know you wnat too:lol:

8. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

On my `86 K-jet 8v a couple of shims behind the fuel reg and a bit more dizzy advance gained me 17bhp and moved a good slug of torque a bit further down the rev range (back to back RR runs).

Really needs a RR to do properly, but it was the best 100 I ever spent...

9. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

keep it 8v!!

dont listen to the 16v voices!

10. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

If we are going to have a 8v vs 16v debate ill start with the fact 8v's sound nicer!

Changing the gearbox wont make it rev higher infact it will make it easier to rev due to the shorter gearing therefore putting less strain on the engine:p

If you are going 16v you might aswell do 2.0, do it once do it right and all that and as toyo said in a slightly nicer way, do a bloody search!

11. Admin Guest

stay 8v for good low end grunt!

the 2l with a cam is a great little engine.

16v forever revving the nuts off it to get it moving......

12. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I don't really want to do the Digi thing, it's got too many wires, I don't like wires, I took me about 3 hours to connect a stereo. I really am a dumb f**k with wiring, even looking at more than 3 wires makes me feel slightly ill.

13. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I have considered stripping the 8v engine to find the cause of the smoke but TBH after buying geasket sets, headbolts, cambelt, tensioner etc I'm halfway to an engine swap, although I would probably end up buying a semi-f**ked engine & have to do all that anyway[:$]

14. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

It is so easy even a blinded dumb **** can install:lol:.
    Best set of 5 wire connectors you would have ever connected. ABF FTW!

By the way I have an 8v that is retired as an in yard test rig. Good for testing ECU hardware, generating electric current and housing local wildlife. Can't wait to rip that out and put in a real engine...

15. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

1.8 16v is an easy swap with minimal wires, but you're changing the fundamental nature of the car. 8v to 16v. You may not like it.

With the 2.0l 8v you're getting spades more grunt, but also upping the CR so you risk detonation with the K-jets rather vague fuelling. Remember K-jet is essentially 1970's technology.

A mk3 2.0l with the management would probably get you what you want, you'll just have to call in a few favours to get the electrics sorted, and a clever exhaust manifold but when done you'll have a better car.

The smoke (if it's on over-run) is probably valve-stem seals - quite common on 100K + motors and nothing terminal.

Stick nitrous on it, 75hp shot, and when you do lunch your engine then at least it'll be when you're having fun, not stuck in a queue of traffic :)

16. Mike_H Forum Addict

ABF on Kjet FTW. You won't get 20 more bhp - more like 50.

Low ratio box is a great idea if you don't do lots of motorway miles. A 2Y box won't make any difference if your car already has an ACD/AUG one. You need one with a 3.9 diff.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  17. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

Thats it Eddie!

18. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Please explain more fully. Is that all you did? No cam change, exhaust, etc.? Is it OK on 98 octane fuel?

19. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

OK I'm confused[:s]

To get 50 more bhp am I looking at 2.0l ABF block with a 16v k-jet head or with my existing 8v k-jet head?

20. chrismc Forum Junkie

Having owned a decent spec 2L 8v and various spec valvers, the 8v does have lovely instant power, but always falls on it's face at the top end in comparison

A valver with a well butchered airbox sounds every bit as good, and a few choice tweaks will make it rev out strongly to the limiter too!

A 2L valver gives that feeling of 8v torque low down with extra urgency and revs at the top end. Ideal for a road going track car...add a 3.9fd and you have a really quite potent setup.

In terms of bang for buck you will spend a lot of cash tuning the 8v to make the same power a 2L valver gives out of the box.

Not knocking the 8v at all, as mine was a great engine and gave excellent figures at Stealth. The same money could have got me a good slice more go if I had started 16v though...