In a tizzy over a dizzy

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Andrew Lewin, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Andrew Lewin Paid Member Paid Member

Hello you wonderful people.

Another chapter in my '90 Mk2 GL (GU) upgrade/modifying/ruining (delete as appropriate) journey.

So far i've fitted a GTI cam and the engine is getting the exhaust treatment next month. A weber is going on as soon as heritage have them in stock since my pierburg has so much seemingly missing from it I don't think it'd be economical to try and return it to stock. https://imgur.com/a/zOtrQvU
    I mean, no 3/4 point unit, wires all taped up (left), a manual choke and wax stat bypassed aren't great starting points.

After the GTI cam, am I correct in thinking a K-Jet dizzy should also be fitted? Also, I imagine my flywheel timing marks won't be reliable (apart from TDC) for getting proper timing. Would a friends basic timing light help me set everything up or do I need to source an advance/retard adjustable variant?

Many thanks, Andrew

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yes if you can get one 1.8 mk1/2 dizzy is a nice upgrade, with this you line it up to 6 degrees BTDC with vacuum line off rather than carb setting which is 18 degrees vacuum line on. but this mark is only for base setup, you can squeeze in a wee bit more advance. either make a new mark on flywheel, or get a timing light with advance dial using the TDC mark.

on a mates car I snapped an old ruler down so it would fit in the timing inspection hole and put a big bit of tape on it so I could hold onto it. made a new mark with tipex then off we went

Andrew Lewin likes this.
  3. Andrew Lewin Paid Member Paid Member

Hey, thanks John. I'm currently looking for a distributor but it seems like there are so many to choose from I'll likely cock it up.
    Autodoc seem to have this:
    https://www.autodoc.co.uk/jp-group/8177500
    but that price cant be for a whole distributor surely?!
    They also show many Bosch reconditioned units (all out of stock) that range from £260 - £300
    I'm assuming here that I'm looking for an EV engine GTI to be sure that I get a KJet dizzy?
    The description of many that I've looked at so far seem very vague and searching through some ETKA I'm bombarded with part numbers but not with reliable information about what models they all fit.

Your ruler, tape, tipex method both baffles and intrigues me. Do you mean that you dribbled the tipex down the ruler once you'd spun the flywheel around to 6 degrees? On a related note, what is the most reliable way of finding that 6 degree point for a "3 spanners Haynes Manual" level-of-competence mechanic?

Many thanks, Andrew

4. rubjonny

ideally buy bosch, often the cheaper ones arent made quite right. EV and DX engine codes are what you're after.

go into electrics section on etka, find 'distributor versions' for 1982-1986 mk1/2 golf and look up DX and EV codes, there will be a couple part numbers which work. 026905205AK for mk2 golf :)

ok so. you need to measure from the TDC mark to make a new 6 degree mark, measurement is in the haynes manual. the hole is quite small, so you cant fit a ruler inside. I snapped the end off a ruler so it would fit in the hole. then I put a blob of tipex in the 6 degree position. simples ;)
    [​IMG]

5. Andrew Lewin Paid Member Paid Member

Wow, I'm flawed once again at your helpfulness John, truly. Do you have one of those PayPal buttons that I can click to buy you a beer? [:D]:thumbup:[:*:]
    I think I'm gonna trawl eBay with 026905205AK and see what pops up. Hopefully a not too shabby Bosch unit.

I do feel like a numpty now that you've posted that page from the Haynes manual. I've seen that image loads of times but never put two and two together regarding the measurements. Doh! Think I'll make myself a 12.5mm wide implement, shove it down the 'box hole and give it a whack with a mallet to make a temporary 6 degree mark then use a sharp end to make a more permanent mark after.

Update:
    turns out eBay will locate just about anything.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-80-...GNITION-DISTRIBUTOR-026905205AK-/224150667631
    This Audi unit seems to fit the bill. I'm imagining it'll be a straight swap?

6. rubjonny

an AK is an AK no matter what country made it what engine it came from ;)

could always buy a membership if you want to contribute then the whole club will benefit :thumbup: