Injector info please

Discussion in '8-valve' started by fenton, Aug 21, 2021.

1. fenton New Member

Hi trying to figure out if I've fitted the wrong injectors into my mk2 8v digifant. I seem to have over fueling symptoms and when looking at a spare set I have they appear to be numbered differently. Making me think I've fitted ones from a 2ltr. Does this sound possible? Thanks for any help.

2. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

Injectors come in many different models, flow, spray pattern, low OR high impedance, etc
    There is a Bosch part number on it, google that number for flow ( usual @ 3 or 4 Bar fuel pressure )
    and compare both injectors.... there are lists online
    And if you have run quite some distance with over fueling...the engine oil might might contain petrol, and if so ? > Change the the engine oil asap and filter

erreesse and fenton like this.
  3. fenton New Member

Thanks for the reply, that was one of my symptoms when trying to get the car up and running properly again. Since then I think it's running properly now idle and co all good all be it co was high seems to have settled now (it passed mot) only problem now is hard to start after a drive. Which my mechanic thought could still be overfuel issue (flooding leaving it difficult to re start). Tried searching the no. On the 2 sets if injectors might be looking at wrong no.s? One set are marked 075B and other is marked 331F. Thanks again for any help or information greatly appreciated.

4. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

5. fenton New Member

Thanks when out to garage to remove fuel rail to see part no. Of one's on the car. When I removed the vac hose to top of fuel regulator fuel came out of it. Would this point at a regulator issue?

6. watercooled Forum Member

Regulator has gone,there should be no fuel in the vacuum side, I've never had one go,regulator failure causes the pintles to leak due to too higher pressure beyond the spec of the injector.
    Dirty or faulty injectors will do the same thing,they will drip in the closed position,as mentioned an oil change may be needed,petrol is a lousy lubricant ,good luck.

fenton likes this.
  7. fenton New Member

That's great thanks for the info. I'm going to put this problem arising due to my own fault few years back I needed to move the car but wouldn't start pump wasn't working. So I decided to hard wire pump so I could move it about yard as needed. I did eventually resolve the problem but I'm guessing this is what has done the damage. 12years of a rebuild but finally getting down to the gremlins. Got her motd last week. Slowly but surely. Thanks again.

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

whats part number on original injectors and the new ones. there were various digi injector part numbers over the years but mostly compatible

fenton likes this.
  9. fenton New Member

Hi thanks for the reply the part No. On the injectors in the car are 906031e and the part No on the spare ones are 037906031e tho I think now I've sussed out it's the pressure regulator is the issue. Which I am having quite a bit of trouble sourcing.

10. rubjonny

ok so both sets are the same VW part number so can use either :)

11. fenton New Member

Thanks Yeah realise that now lol. Any ideas on the FPR. Any way to test or repair these?

12. rubjonny

if you're getting fuel out the vacuum hose the internal diaphragm is ruptured which cannot be repaired so you'll need to source a new one. part number is 037133035 with bosch number 0280160747. not seeing any on ebay, found this:
    https://www.jwewgroups.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=285086

might be worth looking at if you can change the fuel rail to later type, have a look around mk4 golfy in scrappy

erreesse and fenton like this.
  13. watercooled Forum Member

John is totally correct here as always,I mentioned that I have never seen one of these fail after owning many digi cars so expect you would be fine with a used one from a wreaker ,good luck.

fenton likes this.
  14. fenton New Member

Thanks for everyone's reply just an update. Got a fuel reg from a breaker fitted it today and now she won't start ‍

15. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Are you getting fuel on the vacuum side as before - or has that at least gone away with the replacement FPR?

16. fenton New Member

No fuel in vac lines at the min. But hasn't been running. I'm getting fuel at hose on rail and also at the other end of rail (bleed bolt) and all under pressure.

17. costel1969

I'm presuming the car is turning over but no sign of a start as opposed to temporarily starting/spluttering and then conking out again.
    Based on what you're saying between the new FPR and injection nozzles it looks like you're getting fuel but now there's no spark for ignition. I know you said the Mk2 has had gremlins previously - is intermittent/no ignition potentially one as well by chance? I would also change the fuel filter (if you haven't already) as there may be crud in the old one.

Based on my own 8V digifant experience - when I picked up mine in 2019 it was a turd trying to start it and just poor running overall. I completely re-vamped the ignition system, new leads, coil, distributor cap and rotor, HT leads and spark plugs and while you're at it - try and source a genuine blue temp sensor, a faulty one of those can also cause significant ball-ache and very poor running overall.

Between all of the above, I got mine starting on the button, making a far better job of idling and generally not attempting to be a broken bronco - it's still not perfect and next on the list is a completely new distributor and opening opening the AFM and seeing how the tracks are on the potentiometer.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    fenton likes this.
  18. fenton New Member

Thanks for the info. I got the car up and running in September and got it motd but because of the over fueling didn't want to drive it about was a little hard to start but nothing major. Everything had been gone over by myself a novice and the took to a good mechanic to get the co as low has he could with fueling issue. And she passed the test did drive fine. Then I changed the fpr. Now won't start. I'm getting spark. Will have to check tomorrow if plugs a getting wet. Did try a mist of fuel in air intake while turning over and was trying to start but didn't want her backfiren on me lol just a little stumped. Thanks again

19. costel1969

Might be worth checking out the 2 fuel pumps - there may be something there as well, I think it's the lift pump (fuel tank) that tends to give the most grief but the main pump has been known to throw a wobbly as well.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    fenton likes this.
  20. rubjonny

if he adjusted co right down to work around the massive amount of extra fuel coming in through the bust FPR, possibly its now way too weak and thats why it wont start. go back to the basics though check everythign in my digi guide, pull fuel relay and make sure you have a spark, check the condition of spark plugs might find they're soaked and sooted up. if so clean em up, leave the car overnight without the plugs in to dry out a bit and go again

fenton likes this.